2015 platinum or 2017 xlt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d do the Platinum myself assuming both are close forget sync if you keep it long term. Sync 3 will be obselete as well shortly. I looked at loaded up XLT units in older 3rd gen years and even when maxed out they just weren’t as nice as the Eddie Bauer trim. The leather wasn’t as nice and other little things like the nicer dashboard/ simulated wood trim . Some things you couldn’t get on the XLT like the power liftgate and the rear seat entertainment. I loved my XLT, they are great but a Platinum will be nicer if that’s what you want. If you are going to be using payload go with the XLT as less equipment = more available payload.

A maxed out XLT will be close to a Limited, well equipped for the money. For me the bigger factor would be previous maintenance/ mileage and condition on both.

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy the 17 if it has 202a luxury package. You won't get power boards or 20" wheels but all else should be the same in the XLT. I have a 17 XLT EL with 202a, which includes nav, heated and cooled leather seats, sync 3, HD tow, backup cam, 4x4, power lift gate, etc. Sync 3 is worth the upgrade, as well as being 2 years newer. Get it Ford CPO for the 100k power train warranty. Dealer oil changes cost $50 every 5k miles. You can purchase Ford extended warranty online through flood Ford for half what the dealer charges and it's the dame warranty.

Neil T Casey

Reaction score
My thought on it is it depends on the condition of the 15. I bought my 15 plati from Virginia and it originated from Canada as a gov vehicle. There was almost no rust anywhere on it and it had all maint records available. I was looking at the xlts, but I really liked the look of the Blue/Brown Leather interior and couldnt find a King Ranch that was mono. I will say, if the platinum has 22s, I would buy that. If you arnt a fan of 22s then buy some smaller rims, but the ride is so much better with the CCD. I am amazed for how well it rides with 22s. Just my thoughts.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flood ford ESp if interested. Don't buy the autonation one. Way too expensive.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

Paying $46 after taxes for Ford's "the works" service. Oil (motorcraft semi-synthetic) & filter change plus tire rotation and overall check out.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Given similar mileage and maintenance, I'd go with the 2017 XLT with the 202a. I see from the windows sticker it pretty optioned up, including 20" wheels, so I'd go for the '17 XLT. Thee are always things that are updated year-to-year, some small, some not so small, but the '17 is the 'best' version of the third gen from that standpoint..

I remember I had narrowed my search to '16-'17's, and I want to say it was because there was something significant on the '15s that was resolved on the '16/'17's, but I can't think of it at the moment..

stewartsoda

Reaction score
Does the XLT w/ 202A update the speakers? I know it adds Sync3, but I think it's still 6 speakers and not 12 like the Limited/Platinum.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Given similar mileage and maintenance, I'd go with the 2017 XLT with the 202a. I see from the windows sticker it pretty optioned up, including 20" wheels, so I'd go for the '17 XLT. Thee are always things that are updated year-to-year, some small, some not so small, but the '17 is the 'best' version of the third gen from that standpoint..

I remember I had narrowed my search to '16-'17's, and I want to say it was because there was something significant on the '15s that was resolved on the '16/'17's, but I can't think of it at the moment..
Are you thinking about the USB port upgrade to allow Sync 3 integration with CarPlay?