2016/third gen electrical gremlins - SYNC, Backup camera, blower motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ppurdom

Reaction score
Checked out truck for current accurate specifics...

When going into Sync-Media it enters the menu for less than half second and exits right away.

When trying Sync-Phone won't go in at all. (This is what I think was grayed out before). Still the same dynamic that permission seems removed...So frustrating.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
#3.

Get the blower motor safety recall done also. The parts are now available in the Ford part’s system.

I must correct this post.

I learned much later that the Ford dealer ordered and installed a current service front blower motor part (not the correct recall part - which was still not available).

On August 7, 2023, I received a letter from Ford stating the part was now available and to contact my dealer as soon as possible.

I called my Ford dealer the same day I received the latest letter and was told the recall blower motor part is on backorder until August 28, 2023.

I made an appointment for September for the recall repair, and added the issue below:

Since making the appointment, my backup camera has begun to work intermittently. It either works, doesn’t work and the screen flickers with a distorted picture, or I receive a black screen with a warning the camera is not available and to contact my dealership. The vehicle has never been wrecked or damaged, other than a replacement windshield.

I took photos of the screens and printed them, and will include them with my night drop-off envelope as proof that the camera is malfunctioning.

I will follow up with this thread IF the dealer repairs the camera system - to detail what was done.

kenstang

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my blower motor. Had to kick under the dash to get it to work. It was the blower motor resistor, more importantly it was the plug onto the resistor. I originally changed the resistor and it kept doing it. I had to cut out the plug and connect a new plug to it

Ryan1usu

Reaction score
Update:
Used GG1T-14d212-AC from Ebay. Might have been the only one. Used forscan to put in the vin and such. Reset, tested, no codes. Still didn't work. Pulled fuse to reset. Left it a few hours. Still nothing. Forscan said it tested fine and communicated fine but still no response to sync.

Oddly enough, the next day I randomly uplugged the APIM from the USB connector and re-seated it.

Two hours later I'm driving the vehicle and was with someone and the bluetooth topic came up so I go to push the phone button to show them how it does nothing and... it worked. Everything suddenly started working. Been 2 days and still functions fine. Recognizes my Pixel 7 almost instantly on start up and plays the song where it was last playing from just like the CD player does. Voice commands are good (though definitely from 2016) and phone calls work great.

I honestly think pulling the USB connector and putting it back in somehow triggered the software running to get past some programming bug or something. Or maybe even this old style mini-usb connector just wasn't seated properly. Not sure. Fingers crossed it keeps going.

Having relocated the APIM to inside the center console box, access is now a breeze.

caseyp

Reaction score
I am having all of these same issues and more!! Any advice or direction is appreciated.

CD player stopped working
Bluetooth stopped working
Radio starting working intermittently, seemed like loose speaker wires at first....squelching real loud, but then would go away
Back-up camera started working intermittently, now does not work at all.
No sync at all....sometimes the clock with teh date will appear
Also now I recently lost AC/Heat control, and the heater will blow full blast from time to time??? So frustrating

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must correct this post.

I learned much later that the Ford dealer ordered and installed a current service front blower motor part (not the correct recall part - which was still not available).

On August 7, 2023, I received a letter from Ford stating the part was now available and to contact my dealer as soon as possible.

I called my Ford dealer the same day I received the latest letter and was told the recall blower motor part is on backorder until August 28, 2023.

I made an appointment for September for the recall repair, and added the issue below:

Since making the appointment, my backup camera has begun to work intermittently. It either works, doesn’t work and the screen flickers with a distorted picture, or I receive a black screen with a warning the camera is not available and to contact my dealership. The vehicle has never been wrecked or damaged, other than a replacement windshield.

I took photos of the screens and printed them, and will include them with my night drop-off envelope as proof that the camera is malfunctioning.

I will follow up with this thread IF the dealer repairs the camera system - to detail what was done.

The dealer replaced the rear view camera on my 2015 Expedition (under terms of my Ford ESP).

I attached the printed photo of the various error screens and taped them to a piece of paper - and taped it to the dash for the mechanic with a polite note.

The service advisor said at the time of repair, the backup camera was working - but the mechanic replaced the camera because I included printed photos of the various defective screens.

chris451fmc

Reaction score
@nikolairomanov

If you're sync 1 like me the unit is attached underneath the center console cubby. It was pretty easy to unbolt and lift up the console to access and remove the APIM from behind the front seats. I cut a 2 inch hole in the cubby and routed the wires for the APIM inside the cubby and put everything back together. So now I can get to it easy. I ebayed and found nothing for APIMs for expedition so I got crazy and got one from a fusion or escape that said it was sync 1. Attempted to program it with forscan. Everything appears fine in forscan. No more error saying can't communicate with the APIM and it took the expedition settings fine. However, still no bluetooth. It appears the USB and 3.5 jack menus have appeared but every time I attempt bluetooth nothing happens. It could be incompatability issues or this used APIM could be bad, too. Not sure. And I'm no forscan expert. I'm shooting from the hip here. I'm going to test some more tonight and attempt all the reset fixes. I'll let you know what happens.

That being said, any chance I could send you my APIM? Or perhaps if you can pull yours and check soldering and let me know how it goes I'd pay you to do mine if it's a soldering issue. That's outside my wheelhouse. And damn, if it is, you could go into business fixing these things. But that's my biggest beef with this situation. I want to know what is failing in these units and whether or not it can be repaired. Supply chains aren't going to loosen any time soon.

I did notice some spilled coffee stains around my shifter but there didn't appear to be anything inside the console when I looked at the wiring. I'll take a closer look tonight. I can confirm that I ran the vehicle a few days with the apim pulled out. HVAC and all else did fine. Sync 1 apim for these expeditions seems to only control bluetooth, usb, audio jack, rear camera, and mytouch voice garbage. So the rear camera didn't work with the old APIM removed but that was the only difference from when it is connected. There is a second apim behind the screen that I understand controls the HVAC stuff. Essentially, when I pulled the APIM, nothing changed. When I programmed the alternate used APIM, more stuff became available, FORSCAN says it is working and not giving an error codes. But still no bluetooth.

I'm tempted to buy this thing. I've done several messages with these guys and they say there unit completely replaces the stereo and hvac apims and controls everything and is designed for sync1. But I've researched seicane and it seems very hit or miss for reliability and not sure how I feel about losing physical buttons to control HVAC. They have a few on the front but to get to the details and control the rear you have to go into the android system and use an app that has pretty clunky looking layout. But $350 is half the price ford wants for an APIM they aren't sure they can get and it would be nice to have android auto and carplay.

Hi - This module is what I have been trying to locate. I will pull it and inspect for water damage, check some components chip caps diodes inductors, since it sits under two cup holders maybe thats what caused it to fail. I suspect a voltage converter might be a suspect. Otherwise I can test components on the board particularly any power supply components. Just need to get it out of the console if thats where it is on the 2017 here.

Last edited:

chris451fmc

Reaction score
2016 XLT 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

as the title says, i'm having issues with the electrical system. everything else works beautifully. I know i am not the first to mention this, but i would like to start a new thread with the information i know so far to try and sort out a fix. There are three main issues to sort out in order of importance and difficulty fixing.

1. sync system (sync 1)
2. backup camera
3. blower motor intermittent stop

Sync system
This issue has been reported by multiple users. We all have the same symptoms, which are that the radio works and the xm radio works, but none of the actual sync features work. The strangest part is that these issues are intermittent. for me, it seems that it works more often (though not reliably) in the cold, such as when we have 20 degree mornings the sync features work fine but not at lunch when the temp gets up to 70. Through my research i have determined this means there is some problem with the APIM.

However, SYNC 1 APIMs are expensive, even on ebay, and are not guaranteed to work/require some minor hacking to be able to use with your expedition if they came out of another vehicle. maybe you could get one at a pick and pull but the compatibility would still be an issue afaik. I also have no been able to find any kind of guide on how to replace the APIM even if i did get another one.

therefore i would like to avoid replacing the APIM unless it's absolutely necessary. i have some concept that this may be a ground problem, and its also been reported by some users that their dealers stated there were corroded wires in the console causing the issue, but there was no resolution in the thread that this was brought up in.

(https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2017-ford-expedition-electrical-problem.48598/)

this thread also has other issues unrelated to the sync though, things i am not experiencing.

any advice on this one would be appreciated. currently i have a Bluetooth speaker on my dash that works ok but its not a pleasant or long term solution.

2. backup camera
the backup camera goes through periods of working and not working. sometimes it is glitchy, and does not display right on the multimedia screen. its distorted and the colors are messed up. my guess is there is some kind of electrical issue, and a thread also mentions that there is a youtube video of an explorer having a similar issue, that poor drainage in the rear hatch caused the connector to become corroded.

im hoping i dont have to tear the rear hatch apart as i have already had to somewhat do this before, causing damage to the clips, because the (i assume anyways due to the poor work done on it before i bought it) chimpanzee that owned it before me had disconnected all of the windshield wiper lines at the front and back.

3. blower motor

i am having the same issue as many people with needing to kick the wiring when it cuts out suddenly. this issue in particular has been rather sporadic recently, but when summer first started to get hot it was a thing pretty much every time i started the vehicle.

this one is the lowest priority for me because i know about multiple possible issues with it, including the "fire risk" recall for which ford is supposedly working on manufacturing new parts in order to fix. but if it could possibly be caused, along with everything else, by a bad ground, it would be nice if it was fixed as well.

Overall I am in love with the idea of the expedition as an overlanding platform with decent ground clearance once modified. Towing capacity and the surprising efficiency of the 3.5 Ecoboost are nice bonuses. but I want to get it right before i start working on extra stuff like a lift kit, roof rack, tires, bumper replacement, and internal modifications.

thanks if you choose to read all of this and please go easy on me as this is pretty much my first post here.
I have noticed the backup camera had distortion or very bad video when it was -10F degrees and the vehicle was parked in the cold. This cleared up as the weather warmed up and after driving for a half hour. Cold temperature seems to cause the problem. I have not opened up the tail to check the connectors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire