2017 Expedition - cluster staying energized after turning car off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefsFanInMD

Reaction score
Just developed an issue with my 2017 Expy with 71k miles. When vehicle is put into park, and car shut off, it is not killing power to gauges or stereo. Beeping like it does when you leave it in drive and shut the car off. However, nothing showing on information panel (ie not in park, etc)

I have the negative terminal off the battery to save power, but would like to ask if anyone else has had this issue, and what the cause/solution was.

thanks

OP
OP
ChiefsFanInMD

ChiefsFanInMD

Reaction score
As a follow-up, in case anyone has any ideas. I reconnected the negative lead. Started car and left door open. Noticed that the power steering wheel had stayed out. Put car in reverse, with door open. Got the notice on the dash. Put car in drive and again got the notice. Put car in park, shut off car. Steering wheel retracted and no chime this time.

Is it possible that the vehicle did not sense that the car was in park ? This is baffling me...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a follow-up, in case anyone has any ideas. I reconnected the negative lead. Started car and left door open. Noticed that the power steering wheel had stayed out. Put car in reverse, with door open. Got the notice on the dash. Put car in drive and again got the notice. Put car in park, shut off car. Steering wheel retracted and no chime this time.

Is it possible that the vehicle did not sense that the car was in park ? This is baffling me...

Somewhat common issue with the 2015 - 2017 Expedition models.

The transmission shifter assembly sensor breaks, and the computer “thinks” the vehicle has not been placed into the park position - when it has.

There are several posts on this forum about the issue. The fix is to replace the shifter assembly (which does not have a separate sensor assembly which is replaceable).

Another symptom of the problem is the key is shut off (key or intelligent start), and when the LF door is opened - the chimes sound (indicating the computer thinks the shifter is not in park, when it is).

The black leather left and right sides of the shifter handle pop off. The trim bezel is removed - then the shifter assembly is replaced as an assembly. It has several bolts that fasten it + electrical connectors.