2017 Expedition rear passenger stabilizer bar failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As much as I hate state inspections of vehicles especially a newer one, this one was actually beneficial. I also wanted to alert you to check yours.

My rear passenger side stabilizer bar failed. I have no idea how or why. I haven't even noticed any handling differences. Easy fix but the mechanic doing the inspection and I have never seen one fail especially in a newer vehicle.

I'm just hoping it's an anomaly and not showing poor quality in the parts put into this vehicle. I don't take corners like a madman and haven't hit any potholes or bumps that would make me think something would break. We do have lots of traffic circles in this area. Again I take them like I'm driving a large high center of gravity SUV.broken passenger rear stablizer 2.JPG drivers side rear stablizer.JPG

The two pics are the rear broken bar and the driver's side intact one.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That has to be a casting flaw, those are solid parts and when they fail its at the joint that gets slop and causes clunking
I've never seen one break in half on any vehicle unless some road debris or rock hit it?

OP
OP
C

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That has to be a casting flaw, those are solid parts and when they fail its at the joint that gets slop and causes clunking
I've never seen one break in half on any vehicle unless some road debris or rock hit it?

Other than a casting/material issue, it's the only thing I can think of yet I don't recall hearing or feeling anything that would break it.

OP
OP
C

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow the top half of it is gone, did you pull that off or was it missing when inspected?

Missing.

Now if something hit it, shearing it off and taking the top part with it, how did it miss everything else next to it?

Aliens? Metal eating virus that died halfway down? Ran over a disintegration ray gun that only had one shot left? Gremlin?

Was this tied to the mysterious button in another thread?

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe that you were possibly the target of a radio-controlled car bomb that misfired.....

I did check mine....all good, thanks

It sure looks and sounds to me like the top of yours wasn't fastened correctly, allowing it to rotate and fall downward against the adjoining bar.....bouncing along happy as can be until one day, one perfectly placed impact at a weak spot was all it took to cause the casting to crack and fall away......just my guess although not nearly as entertaining as the Alien possibility!

jeff

Mean_Dean

Reaction score
Let's go with the aliens! At least you discovered it before further damage and can get it fixed. Ford taking care of it for you?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev