2017 Expedition Rear Suspension Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randymac

Reaction score
I am still looking for a solution to my sagging rear end!

The OEM manual load leveling shocks do nothing for my situation. I tow a trailer with maybe 600 lbs. of tongue weight. I have a weight distribution hitch and the full towing package, and my back end squats terribly. While still under warranty Ford had no solution or options. The companies that sell online have no options for my 2017. (When you put in the year and model all of the options disappear). I have reached out to most major suppliers vie email and either got no response or no we cant help. I have asked the place that serviced this and previous Expedition and they have no solutions. Had the trailer guy who does this for a living look at my set up and he had no solutions. (in fact told me he recently had a new F-150 with a similar problem).

Someone out there has solved this for a 2017. Please tell me how. Picking up a new trailer with similar weight in a week or so and want to overcome this issue.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was air bags back there an option ? I think they were on earlier ones. I thing 2nd gen had them all around. Also, somebody probably makes helper springs.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am still looking for a solution to my sagging rear end!

The OEM manual load leveling shocks do nothing for my situation. I tow a trailer with maybe 600 lbs. of tongue weight. I have a weight distribution hitch and the full towing package, and my back end squats terribly. While still under warranty Ford had no solution or options. The companies that sell online have no options for my 2017. (When you put in the year and model all of the options disappear). I have reached out to most major suppliers vie email and either got no response or no we cant help. I have asked the place that serviced this and previous Expedition and they have no solutions. Had the trailer guy who does this for a living look at my set up and he had no solutions. (in fact told me he recently had a new F-150 with a similar problem).

Someone out there has solved this for a 2017. Please tell me how. Picking up a new trailer with similar weight in a week or so and want to overcome this issue.
When the trailer is sitting level (not hitched to the truck), what is the height difference between the top of the receiver and the trailer hitch?

OP
OP
R

Randymac

Reaction score
bobmbx...I think they are pretty close to even, but I'll check this weekend. Good or no?

As for the Sumo Springs...I put those spacers in about a month ago. I moved my trailer home last week-end to clean it out to trade it in. It was only a few miles so I didn't use the WDH, but I couldn't tell that the Sumo spring made any difference.

OP
OP
R

Randymac

Reaction score
bobmbx...I think they are pretty close to even, but I'll check this weekend. Good or no?

As for the Sumo Springs...I put those spacers in about a month ago. I moved my trailer home last week-end to clean it out to trade it in. It was only a few miles so I didn't use the WDH, but I couldn't tell that the Sumo spring made any difference.

OP
OP
R

Randymac

Reaction score

OP
OP
R

Randymac

Reaction score

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
600 pounds on the hitch shouldn't cause the truck to squat 'terribly'. Have you weighed the tongue? Is it 10-15% of trailer weight? What is your cargo weight (in the truck at or behind the rear axle....this gets 'added' to the tongue weight)?

OP
OP
R

Randymac

Reaction score
I have not weighed it, and since I am trading it in I don't care.....I had a 2011 expedition that rode better pulling the same trailer. Total weight on the new trailer is similar so I am hoping the tongue is as well, but I still need to improve on this.

I love driving this Expedition, but hate towing with it.