2017 Expy Can you upgrade from halogen to HID headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just installed all four Diode Dynamics headlight bulbs. The low beam fit perfectly but I had to “clearance” around where the dust cover attaches to the back of the housing to get the high beam bulbs to lock in. Not a big deal to me. A few minutes with a dremel and it’s all good.

The driver side housing with these throws a crisp pattern. It appears to me that the passenger side reflector housing throws light all over the place. I did make sure the bulbs are horizontal. Overall, I’m pretty pleased with them so far. I didn’t log any road miles because, well, I had a few cold ones.

A comparison shot before it got too dark. DD bulb in the pass side, but without the housing pushed into place completely. OE halogen drivers side.

b1ef64f25851fe23e4e5104fe766a65c.jpg

Low beam pattern. I’ll probably need to bring it down a bit more, but it’s past dinner time.

dec853d4ea5109430602ffd62860487a.jpg
Looks great. And those are reflector low beams?

OP
OP
Stotadude

Stotadude

Reaction score
I am so bummed out. I received my DD LED bulbs and immediately took them to my '17 Expy to install. They would not lock in. I tried and tried but no luck. It appears as though the dimension between the bottom of the locking tabs and the top of the plastic base is just a little too short. I know I could dremel it but I don't know how thick the base plastic is and don't want to open up the base to water intrusion. I have emailed DD and am waiting a reply.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am so bummed out. I received my DD LED bulbs and immediately took them to my '17 Expy to install. They would not lock in. I tried and tried but no luck. It appears as though the dimension between the bottom of the locking tabs and the top of the plastic base is just a little too short. I know I could dremel it but I don't know how thick the base plastic is and don't want to open up the base to water intrusion. I have emailed DD and am waiting a reply.

Try swapping the rubber gaskets from existing bulbs to new ones, that often solves apparent fitment problems

Although... the problem you described kinda sounds familiar. For cheap Chinese bulbs that is. Are you sure you got the real deal?

The6ofus

Reaction score

My low beams were snug, but not impossible. The high beams seemed tighter but I was fighting with the edge hitting the housing, not to mention the access hole is more misaligned than the low beams.

Hopefully you’ll hear back quickly. They were very responsive via email for me. Good luck!

2017 XLT 4x4

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is typical, I know they will fit and they will be tight. I had same issue, you really have to work them into the grooves with finesse and be gentle.