2018 Platinum, in the shop with transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere, but just got mine back last week. 1.5 months total. About 3 weeks just to clear the backlog so they could diagnose it, then another 3 weeks to complete the repairs. No idea how long they waited on parts. I had a loaner truck so wasn't too bad about waiting. Mine was also still under warranty. CDF drum replacement and my receipt has 4 pages of parts that were replaced as a part of the process. I as well, wish you luck.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those are good suggestions. Yes, the same dealership replaced the transmission oil, filter, and gasket last November.

However, if the transmission had too much fluid, that still wouldn't explain why it heats up to over 265F+, would it?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those are good suggestions. Yes, the same dealership replaced the transmission oil, filter, and gasket last November.

However, if the transmission had too much fluid, that still wouldn't explain why it heats up to over 265F+, would it?

An engine or transmission overfilled with oil or transmission fluid can cause air bubbles in the fluid (cavitation), and cause the fluid to not cool the engine or transmission properly, or even damage the mechanical parts.

The transmission failed on my 2015 Expedition after the Ford dealer changed the transmission fluid and filter (not a flush). I will never know - but I suspect the transmission was overfilled with fluid by the dealership.

Ford made it extremely difficult for an owner to check the transmission fluid, and I believe that has lead to damaged transmissions when the fluid is not replaced properly after a fluid change (and the owner has to trust that the dealership installed the correct amount of fluid).

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford says the tranny fluid is lifetime.... so im never going to change it because I dont trust the dealer to put the correct amount in and cause damage. Ill just keep my ESP going and if it ever fails then im covered

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It actually would. Overfilling 10R80 can cause overheating and spills.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford says the tranny fluid is lifetime.... so im never going to change it because I dont trust the dealer to put the correct amount in and cause damage. Ill just keep my ESP going and if it ever fails then im covered

The key point is to refill the transmission after the fluid hits over 200F, and then check the gauge stick after several tranny cycles (between 5 to 6, as I remember) . Or collect all the wasted fluid and refill the tranny with the exact same amount. But it not easy to collect All the wasted fluid during the whole maintenance process.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The key point is to refill the transmission after the fluid hits over 200F, and then check the gauge stick after several tranny cycles (between 5 to 6, as I remember) . Or collect all the wasted fluid and refill the tranny with the exact same amount. But it not easy to collect All the wasted fluid during the whole maintenance process.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly don't even think they've taken one look at the unit. They have 20+ Expeditions waiting in line for transmission service, and only one tech doing them all. At least they gave me a brand new Explorer as a loaner. Also, happy I purchased ESP for another two years last December.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly don't even think they've taken one look at the unit. They have 20+ Expeditions waiting in line for transmission service, and only one tech doing them all. At least they gave me a brand new Explorer as a loaner. Also, happy I purchased ESP for another two years last December.

When my Expedition’s transmission was acting funny - I made an appointment and took it to the dealer.

The technician drove it and the transmission failed and locked into a lower gear while he was driving it. He also pulled numerous failure codes.

The technician talked to me in the waiting room and said the dealership would have to install a new transmission. I told him that was fine and to proceed.

Later, when the service advisor realized I had a Ford Premium ESP (purchased at their dealership), their tune changed.

Instead, the transmission would have to removed, disassembled, examined - then rebuilt - at Ford’s direction. It took three months (after diagnosis) due to lack of repair parts from Ford.

It was clear the dealership would have sold me a new transmission if I was paying full-tilt. When they realized I had a Ford ESP - then a rebuild was in order.

Ford has two levels of service repairs - one for those paying full-tilt, and one for those that paid for an ESP.

Let us know what is done to your transmission.