2018 XLT feels like it's pulsing while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RNVXLT

Reaction score
2018 XLT. While driving at any speed we can feel a very slight pulse feeling, light, not very hard but still noticeable. No issues while accelerating or shifting, just the slight pulsing feeling at any constant speed. I have taken it to the dealership and they said it was not the engine but "might" be the transmission. We have extended warranty but they want the dealer to take apart the trans so they can send someone to inspect and confirm before they approve of any repairs.

Anyone experience this issue before? Again, this is during driving not braking so not the rotors.

TIA

Last edited:

Bombtech59

Reaction score
I had this issue last year in my 2018 f150 same drive train. drove me insane trying to figure out what was causing it. I took the truck to the dealer for cam phaser replacement and when I got it back no more pulsing. Please keep in mind I still have no idea what was causing, it my plan was to address the cam phase issue, then address the pulsing issue once that was corrected. I was convinced it was a transmission issue but who knows at this point. That was summer fall of 2023. Cam phasers replaced 1st week of december 2023 issue has not returned yet. I do not know if this info will be helpful for your situation.

OP
OP
RNVXLT

RNVXLT

Reaction score
I had this issue last year in my 2018 f150 same drive train. drove me insane trying to figure out what was causing it. I took the truck to the dealer for cam phaser replacement and when I got it back no more pulsing. Please keep in mind I still have no idea what was causing, it my plan was to address the cam phase issue, then address the pulsing issue once that was corrected. I was convinced it was a transmission issue but who knows at this point. That was summer fall of 2023. Cam phasers replaced 1st week of december 2023 issue has not returned yet. I do not know if this info will be helpful for your situation.

Thanks for the info. This is the 2nd time I take it to the dealer. First time they checked the engine and said that this was not the cause that it could be the transmission. I then had to set up another appointment which took several months, to have the trans checked. We have an extended warranty, Not with Ford, so I was hoping to not pay much for the fix. Dealer Tech reported that the fluid looked very dark. The warranty folks said they needed to have the trans disassembled so they can send someone and inspect the parts before they approve any repairs, if no approval then I have to fit the $2,000 disassembly bill, and then pay to have it re-assembled.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. This is the 2nd time I take it to the dealer. First time they checked the engine and said that this was not the cause that it could be the transmission. I then had to set up another appointment which took several months, to have the trans checked. We have an extended warranty, Not with Ford, so I was hoping to not pay much for the fix. Dealer Tech reported that the fluid looked very dark. The warranty folks said they needed to have the trans disassembled so they can send someone and inspect the parts before they approve any repairs, if no approval then I have to fit the $2,000 disassembly bill, and then pay to have it re-assembled.
Ask the dealer if they accept outside extended warranties other than Ford Protect because the dealers around my way only accept Ford Protect. Thry dont do business with "Carshield" or "Endurance" etc warranties

OP
OP
RNVXLT

RNVXLT

Reaction score
Ask the dealer if they accept outside extended warranties other than Ford Protect because the dealers around my way only accept Ford Protect. Thry dont do business with "Carshield" or "Endurance" etc warranties

Yes they do accept outside warranties.

khammer

Reaction score
Are you coasting or constant load on pedal and holding speed?

I have felt a similar feeling in my '18 limited. I initially chalked it up to the cheap goodyear eagle tires the dealer put on it before we purchased. However, I do not feel it while coasting, but under slight load or holding speed which to me might be transmission or some drivetrain concern. I just reset my transmission tables on forscan to see if that changes anything.

Moeman

Reaction score
What we feel with ours is exactly as you describe, but we tend to feel it more under light acceleration. Ours is a 2022. I always thought it was caused by the engine as opposed to transmission.

yo_nick_explorer

Reaction score
The pulsing has been bugging the hell out of me so thanks for this possible fix! I bought my 18 used and have had the pulsing since I bought it.

OP
OP
RNVXLT

RNVXLT

Reaction score
Are you coasting or constant load on pedal and holding speed?

I just reset my transmission tables on forscan to see if that changes anything.

Don't think I feel it while coasting but while holding speed. Please keep me posted if resetting your trans made a difference.
Thanks

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the pulsing while towing. Occurs only on throttle so I assume it is in the driveline. Even with the smallest U-Haul trailer I still get this pulsing! It only started around 55k miles!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire