2018 XLT feels like it's pulsing while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khammer

Reaction score
Please keep me posted if resetting your trans made a difference.

I do NOT believe this made a difference. I will keep watching it and see if anything occurs before end of ESP.

I am realizing how trash these tires are though. I will definitely be getting a new set before vacation in May. Looking at Nitto Crossteks for 22s.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My understanding is Throttle has adaptive learning feature like the 10R80 transmission.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To everyone above experiencing this problem, if you have more than 45K on the spark plugs, replace them. It's cheap and easy (relative to VVT replacement and transmission rebuild). And pulsing at part throttle tip in and slight load in a tall gear are classic tells of poor old plug with opened gap issues. To avoid experiencing these issues in the first place....replace the plugs at 45K. Just saying.

khammer

Reaction score
To avoid experiencing these issues in the first place....replace the plugs at 45K
My current plugs and boots have 28k on them. I installed the Motorcraft SP594 from Fordparts.com as the recommended superseded OEM part.

However, I would gladly spend $50-60 on a new set of plugs if it helped. I will add plugs to my to-do maintenance list this year.

I saw a post recommending NKG 95605 plugs, but Rockauto shows NKG 90495 for the correct fit part. I am going to look into that plug for replacement.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My current plugs and boots have 28k on them. I installed the Motorcraft SP594 from Fordparts.com as the recommended superseded OEM part.

However, I would gladly spend $50-60 on a new set of plugs if it helped. I will add plugs to my to-do maintenance list this year.

I saw a post recommending NKG 95605 plugs, but Rockauto shows NKG 90495 for the correct fit part. I am going to look into that plug for replacement.
I used the 495's on mine

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And by pulsing, I suppose do you mean a noticeable difference in say gradual acceleration or are you talking about a pulsing sound? I've had both, and they are very different, and yes spark plugs fixed the former, while the later is more related to what's often called turbo surge. If it's turbo surge, you can tell via the cluster (either via watching the boost gauge in the main screen or changing the top right gauge from tranny temp to boost). Turbo surge I still haven't fixed and often experiences during slight acceleration while at speed, my tuners have helped reduce it some but I will say, I really only noticed this after both turbo's were replaced due to the wastegate rattle issues (which dam-it, those are back).

khammer

Reaction score
by pulsing, I suppose do you mean a noticeable difference in say gradual acceleration or are you talking about a pulsing sound?

It is NOT a sound, but a feel, similar to a tire out of balance or a flat spot on the tire. But only happens under slight load.

turbo surge, you can tell via the cluster (either via watching the boost gauge
Interesting note on the turbo surge, I will have to check this.

I do have wastegate rattle and cam phaser knock on start up (to my knowledge, ford has never serviced the cam phasers.) :hmm:I wonder if before my extended service plan expires if they would replace the turbos for the rattle? I may get another 16 months before the end of my plan, but might try and see if they would do the cam phaser service as well. Then I would be ready to rock the next 130k miles with fresh turbos and phaser :peace:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately don't hold your breath on the turbos. Mine were both replaced at around 10k miles due to the rattle, but it took 9 months of fighting with Ford and almost a complete buyback over it. So stupid they would go that route due to this issue. I had maybe 6-8 visits to the dealership (and they were on my side) before Ford agreed to do anything. I even had to publish a youtube video of the rattle before Ford would do anything. Sounds so terrible driving down the road with windows open when you can hear them rattling with the sound bouncing off anything nearby and echoing. I think soon I'm going to try the spring trick some folks have done on the F150's but it looks like a pain in the butt to get in there and do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire