2020 expedition 3rd row driver seat is stuck in stow position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

langleyq001

Reaction score
So my driver side 3rd row seat is stuck in the stow position. The passenger seat works fine. When I hit the button the left (looking from the back) motor tries to rotate the pole to sit up the seat but the right motor doesn't make a noise or anything.
I've tried to do the reset thing where you hold down the left and right seat buttons for 5 seconds. I've held the both seats button for 5 seconds.
We thought there was something stuck in the track so we inspected it and found a small bead bracelet in front of the track. After removing it, the seat still won't sit up.

It is important to note that a few weeks ago I was able to get it to sit up w/ the button. But my wife needed the storage room and laid it back down..:oops::oops:.

I think the motor on the right is bad and tonight I'm going to try and take it off to order a new one.
Is there anything else I should try?
Does anyone know the part number or have a link to one that I could pick up on my way home?

Thank you

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my driver side 3rd row seat is stuck in the stow position. The passenger seat works fine. When I hit the button the left (looking from the back) motor tries to rotate the pole to sit up the seat but the right motor doesn't make a noise or anything.
I've tried to do the reset thing where you hold down the left and right seat buttons for 5 seconds. I've held the both seats button for 5 seconds.
We thought there was something stuck in the track so we inspected it and found a small bead bracelet in front of the track. After removing it, the seat still won't sit up.

It is important to note that a few weeks ago I was able to get it to sit up w/ the button. But my wife needed the storage room and laid it back down..:oops::oops:.

I think the motor on the right is bad and tonight I'm going to try and take it off to order a new one.
Is there anything else I should try?
Does anyone know the part number or have a link to one that I could pick up on my way home?

Thank you

Do a search & some reading.

I recall a post with a similar stuck left rear seat & it was not the motor - but something keeping the seat down (not a dropped foreign object but something with the seat).

OP
OP
L

langleyq001

Reaction score
Do a search & some reading.

I recall a post with a similar stuck left rear seat & it was not the motor - but something keeping the seat down (not a dropped foreign object but something with the seat).
I have searched everywhere I can including on these forums and tried every suggestion they've had. I've cleared the tracks. Checked everywhere in the path of the motor and w/e the section is that it moved.
It's like the seat is locked in the stow position and idk how to get it to move. That's why I thought it was the right motor because the left motor tries to move the seat when I hit the button but the right motor doesn't do anything or make a sound like it's trying to.

But I don't recall reading one where it was stuck like you are describing. If you're able to could you add a link to it please? I'd really appreciate it

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have searched everywhere I can including on these forums and tried every suggestion they've had. I've cleared the tracks. Checked everywhere in the path of the motor and w/e the section is that it moved.
It's like the seat is locked in the stow position and idk how to get it to move. That's why I thought it was the right motor because the left motor tries to move the seat when I hit the button but the right motor doesn't do anything or make a sound like it's trying to.

But I don't recall reading one where it was stuck like you are describing. If you're able to could you add a link to it please? I'd really appreciate it

I’ll do a little searching. I don’t remember much about the post - but I do recall a little. I read many posts, but don’t reply or comment. If I find something - I will post a link to your post.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a friend with an explorer that had this issue and it was the motor in his case. It was still under warranty though so he took it to the dealer and they just replaced the motor and it has been fine ever since.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t remember much about the post - but I do recall a little. I read many posts
It is a rare subject but I also remember one really good thread on this, had pictures and everything.

NOTE: This is why it is important to tag properly.

FryerTime

Reaction score
I've been having issues on and off with my seats since we bought the truck. Power rear seats were one thing I DIDN'T want when buying it and now my hesitations proved correct. First issue the driver side was stuck up and it turns out there was a crayon in the "track". It was good for a year then more issues on that side. I took it in a month ago (clicking sound but no movement and stuck "up") and it turns out a wiring harness had come disconnected. i tend to store items under the 3rd row. Now a month later the driver side is stuck down, the passenger side is stuck up (but reclines) and the fold/unfold button does nothing. What a pain the power seats are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett