2020 Expy Max: Is there a good step by step for upgrading the suspension DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblackpearl

Reaction score
My 2020 Expy (which was previously a rental and so probably abused) with 65K miles has a shot suspension (see this thread). I want to take the suggestions and install:
- Bilstein 5100s on the front and the rear.
- Upgrade my coil springs with OEM at the same time
- Add a rear hellwig sway bar.

I plan to get a local shop to help me with the alignment and also compressing the springs to create the strut with the new coil and shock.

A few questions:
- How easy is this to DIY? The rear sway bar and the rear shocks look easy enough. The front looks very involved though
- I cannot find good step by step instructions and videos for the Expy. But I find a lot for the F150. How similar are the setups between the F150 and the Expy? Especially for the front?

My experience level: I am an amateur here who is decent with tools, but have never done suspension work before. But I have a friend who has all the tools (the lifts, torque wrench etc.) that will help me - he has done a lot of this on his FJ Cruiser and his 4Runner, but does not have experience with Fords.

The mechanic is charging me 900-1000 to put this on (Bay area). That is money I could use to upgrade my tires (I want the Continental Terrain Contact, as they seem to have a smooth ride but also have the aggressive side wall look lol)

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the front suspension is the same as F150. Rear is different cause of independent suspension. I’ve seen people do a direct front suspension swap from Raptor.

OP
OP
T

theblackpearl

Reaction score
I know the front suspension is the same as F150. Rear is different cause of independent suspension. I’ve seen people do a direct front suspension swap from Raptor.
Oh that is awesome.

Another question - can I just start with the rear (suspension and sway bar) and do the fronts later? Would that affect ride quality?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear struts are relatively straightforward if you've ever done suspension work before. The most difficult part is disassembling the struts. I will let other weigh in on sway bars, as I have not done those myself. There was no adverse impact to quality for my vehicle just doing just the rear. My rear were so blown passengers bounced out of their seats on road dips. My fronts are original with 146,000 miles. Having said that, YMMV based on the condition of the existing struts. They wear out over time, so sometimes the degradation isn't apparent if the strut hasn't not failed completely. On my driver side the lower strut bushing was badly seized, and hammering it didn't work. I resorted to torching it to get it to release. That was the issue that I encountered.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've done all three. The rear sway bar is easier than changing your oil. Just back the truck up on ramps and do the bar with weight on both wheels. For the inexperienced, be forewarned that while you are laying under the fuel tank, the electric fuel pump may pressure charge the system with the truck off....which might make your heart skip a beat, LOL.

As Jason pointed out, compressing the springs can be dangerous. Good luck finding someone to compress them for you. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any aftermarket strut assemblies available. I've attached a couple of links below that may help. They both show pics of Gen III Expeditions; but, the rear suspensions are completely carry-over from Gen III to Gen IV.

Be careful with the F150 videos. The 2021 and later F150's have new Front suspensions that are different from your Expedition.

Torques

rear shock replacement video

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire