2021's still shipping & input on upgrading from regular to Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baseballdad1137

Reaction score
I bought my first Expedition about a month ago. Love it so far. I didn't like the long look of the Max, so never considered it, but I'm already regretting not getting the Max. I've had the back row folded down and it's still pretty full (I coach baseball and have tons of stuff to transport).

Normally, trading in a car a month after buying wouldn't be a great idea, but if there's ever a time to do it, I guess it's now with trade-in offers being so good. I'm going to take a loss, but would rather do it now than drive around this regular Expedition and wish I had more space. Paid $67,500 for a Limited with 302A & Texas Edition package. Dealer's offering $63,000 for trade, but they sold the only limited with the features I want.

I've contacted several dealers, but it seems like the 2021 Max Limited is getting hard to find. Two questions:

- Any idea if there are still 2021's in transit? Would I be ok waiting for more stock to hit, or are they all already at the dealerships and I need to try to find one now?

- Anyone else do what I did, or at least considered it and what did you do? Should I try to do this sooner than later? I got 0% financing and they're still offering it, so I'm inclined to try to do this now vs. wait for the 2022's when there may not be 0% financing.

rpw2021

Reaction score
My information is dated since I stopped searching and ordered a '22 last November, but your observation that there are very few Limited Max Expeditions available to buy is my experience as well. So I think you'll need to be willing to cast a wide net if you really want a '21. I think they stopped making the '21s in December, so those last cars should be on dealer lots (or already delivered to orders) by now.

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One big reason I waited for the '22 model was to get the wireless Car Play/Android Auto. Not sure how long you could wait also knowing the trade in value might go down more but may consider just ordering a '22.

RedneckTexan

Reaction score
You might try Mac Haik in Houston. They have a few expeditions on order including a limited max 22 listed on their site that they are selling for sticker $70k. Essentially you could jump the line by buying one of those if they work. $7k would be the cost of the change plus the tax you paid on the 2021.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To cut your losses, you might consider buying used from someplace like Carmax. They'll ship the vehicle to the local dealer. They also sell warranties, or you can purchase a warranty from a dealership like Flood.