2022 Expy Preview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Understood, which is why I said "Now to be fair, this is only an STX". But it's what I have to go on and "potential" pictures show exactly the same materials in those sections (and oddly shows the larger screen, which would denote a higher trim). The whole point was to say that I hope the newer ones aren't what I have experienced here. Can't really judge something I haven't seen or experienced.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not crazy over that new front end. I'd sure like the rear suspension update tho if its actually true. This current rear suspension is soooo dated and it shows on every bump as it heaves the entire vehicle side to side.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not crazy over that new front end. I'd sure like the rear suspension update tho if its actually true. This current rear suspension is soooo dated and it shows on every bump as it heaves the entire vehicle side to side.

what are you talking about? Rear suspension is independent. Starting with 2018my, they dumped a solid rear axle in favor of independent rear suspension. It’s fully revamped.
If you want a yacht feel, downgrade your wheels to 18” size or upgrade to the platinum which features magnetic shocks.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what are you talking about? Rear suspension is independent. Starting with 2018my, they dumped a solid rear axle in favor of independent rear suspension. It’s fully revamped.
If you want a yacht feel, downgrade your wheels to 18” size or upgrade to the platinum which features magnetic shocks.

Go do yourself some homework on this before I even waste my Time replying to this. You missed about everything here....

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I didn't see that rheybwere updating the suspension. I'd personally like them to add the features thats on the aviator, camera, air springs with the ccd. Also, I hope ford spends time tuning it for optimum comfort. I felt like they did the bare minimum on the redesign but they can do better. If the new f150 is anything to go buy, the 2022 ride should be dramatically improved.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't see that rheybwere updating the suspension. I'd personally like them to add the features thats on the aviator, camera, air springs with the ccd. Also, I hope ford spends time tuning it for optimum comfort. I felt like they did the bare minimum on the redesign but they can do better. If the new f150 is anything to go buy, the 2022 ride should be dramatically improved.

That was their main reason for the update. GM bashed Ford for not having a 4 Link or whatever the exact term is and thats why the Ford is a bobble-head machine and the new GM isn't. Its just the geometry that the current Ford uses from 10-15 years ago when they first put IRS in these things. Ford has't fixed that geometry design yet, so they planned to address it now that the new GM had a better rear suspension design. They sure don't talk much about it, but I'm pretty sure it'll be there because their prototype had ALL the rear suspension area blocked so you couldn't see what was under it. Hopefully they'll get out of their 15 year old geometry......

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with @Deadman. The 4-wheel independent suspension, all be it not the best geometry in the industry right now, has been a big selling point for the last generation and this one. If you look at a lot of the other really successful SUV suspensions, many of them are based on sports car designs. Take my previous grand cherokee, the 4 wheel independent multi-link suspension was actually ported over from the Mercedes GLS platform, beefed up for better off-roading and on higher trims outfitted with the air suspension. This also had the effect of improving cargo space by saving space under the vehicle. When you look under a new GM Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, the suspension looks a lot like smaller SUV's from other manufacturers. Oddly enough though, when I'm driving behind one, I look at the actual components, and its interesting to see how wide open and almost vulnerable/weak they look. Kind of like how things look behind a front wheel drive only CRV or something where you have the completely open space where a differential should be.

Time will tell how good the design is, but to @Deadman points, the competition will drive innovation. Ford pretty just borrowed the Gen3 design for the Gen4. Time to get back to the drawing table!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IRS improves handling for 99% of what we do with these but man for off road or loading up that hitch it sucks. I’ve also always hated how the Expedition looks so ugly from the rear underneath with the arms hanging down where the GM looked clean with the live axle. People want the ride though, so our ugly control arms are here to stay lol.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The IRS improves handling for 99% of what we do with these but man for off road or loading up that hitch it sucks. I’ve also always hated how the Expedition looks so ugly from the rear underneath with the arms hanging down where the GM looked clean with the live axle. People want the ride though, so our ugly control arms are here to stay lol.

Typically straight rear axles handle much better than IRS. IRS has too much ability to create body roll where the straight axle stays flat. We fought this in our days of running ATV's and spending endless efforts trying to get the early IRS units to handle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt