2nd Gen Newb Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FamusJ

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2003 Expedition xlt 5.4L. 131k miles. Having some trouble. I'm very much mechanically inclined. The list of problems I'm having are as followed.

1. Passenger side front door at highway speeds or windy day is letting air into cab. Can't feel it but can hear it. All weather stripping looks good and door closes fine.

2. Exhaust rattle around cat on driver side. Possibly clogged, loose baffle, ??

3. Are there 4 cats ?? 2 on each side or 2 cats and a resonator ?? I'm being told 4 and 2. Sorry for long post. Just trying to figure these things out. TIA

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will try on the #2 problem There is a heat shield on top of the cats that can come loose and cause the rattle sound you are hearing. Check it out.

OP
OP
F

FamusJ

Reaction score
Checked heats shields. It only rattles after it idles back down. Sometimes just at idle. Everything is secure. Pulling my hair out. :think:

mnerat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get the same air noise on my drivers door on really windy days. Fairly annoying.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can try replacing the weather molding on the noisy doors with the upgraded 2004+ weather molding. It was beefed up in the second year improvements. On the noisy cat try listening for the rattle with a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate the noise. Might try running some SeaFoam (Walmart) through the intake to clean 'em out, see if that helps. Yes one cat and one resonator in the down pipes of each bank.

-Mike

Last edited:

mwhyes

Reaction score
Related to your wind noise - I want to share my trucks situation: I have a problem with driver side window noise. When you roll the window down at highway speed it will not roll up and seal fully. It will seal up from rain, but it will cause wind noise. I have to slow down to under 20-30mph for it to seal up tight to normal. Door seals fine, and if I never open the window while driving at highway speed, I never have an issue.

Turns out the plastic tabs that hold up the glass on the lifter assembly are cracked and bend when they push up the window glass. I'm not sure why the force of the wind impacts this, but I have the lifter unit replacement on my to-do list. Something to consider.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817