300k miles Any recommendations for maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramon Triton

Reaction score
wow, mind sharing how you made it reach that number?

i am still learning about this machine and have nothing to contribute regarding 300,000 mile procedures but sure would love to get to your impressive figures on my 4.6 xlt 4x4 too.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Anything that is liquid drop and replace. Tranny, differential, transfer case, coolant, brake, power steering, then change motor oil a little earlier going forward.

If you plan to keep it perhaps time to check wheel bearings, motor mounts, u-joints if any overland driving.

JEltonJ

Reaction score
431k. I've had issues with front wheel bearings, brakes and ball joints. Mobil1 5w20 since day 1. Change oil filter with each oil change. add some oil to the oil filter before screwing it back on so it's not dry. air filter and change coolant regular to keep heater core in good shape. 8 spark plugs at 100k each. i've only had to replace 2 coil packs so far. I replaced the rear air suspension with shocks 2 years ago. happy driving and hope you get lots more miles.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with JEltonJ... i’ve got 300,000 miles on mine and I’ve just replaced all the fluids in the differential and transfer case oil changes spark plugs on a regular at 1000k, lifted in 5 inches. Still running strong with no problems!!!

HighSierra49er

Reaction score
I just turned 349,000 on my 2000 EB and just do the same repetitive maintenance program that was done with the vehicle since new. I know it likely is a waste of money, but I still replace the oil every 3,000 miles, and replace the other fluids more often than the service manual calls for, but it's been worth the effort and small extra cost. I do an annual safety check which includes inspecting of u-joints and front end bushings, typical wear items that at some point will need replacing.

Electrically the truck has been amazing. The only failure I have had was a driver's side door lock switch that was starting to fail and was replaced cheaply and with about 10 minutes worth of work.

I suspect that I may be getting close to having a transmission or torque converter failure, they won't last forever, and I'll have to make a decision on whether it's worth it to fix the issues. The interior has held up well for 20 years of service. I did have the driver's side seat bottom redone in original material so it matches perfectly. Paint is good due to being garaged.

So it's all been just the normal routine service work and inspections that is expected of any high-mileage vehicle. The 5.4L engine and transmission for me have been reliable beyond expectations. No oil or fluid leaks either. After having the truck so long it seems like part of the family, I'd hate to lose it.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with JEltonJ... i’ve got 300,000 miles on mine and I’ve just replaced all the fluids in the differential and transfer case oil changes spark plugs on a regular at 1000k, lifted in 5 inches. Still running strong with no problems!!!

Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I just turned 349,000 on my 2000 EB and just do the same repetitive maintenance program that was done with the vehicle since new. I know it likely is a waste of money, but I still replace the oil every 3,000 miles, and replace the other fluids more often than the service manual calls for, but it's been worth the effort and small extra cost. I do an annual safety check which includes inspecting of u-joints and front end bushings, typical wear items that at some point will need replacing.

Electrically the truck has been amazing. The only failure I have had was a driver's side door lock switch that was starting to fail and was replaced cheaply and with about 10 minutes worth of work.

I suspect that I may be getting close to having a transmission or torque converter failure, they won't last forever, and I'll have to make a decision on whether it's worth it to fix the issues. The interior has held up well for 20 years of service. I did have the driver's side seat bottom redone in original material so it matches perfectly. Paint is good due to being garaged.

So it's all been just the normal routine service work and inspections that is expected of any high-mileage vehicle. The 5.4L engine and transmission for me have been reliable beyond expectations. No oil or fluid leaks either. After having the truck so long it seems like part of the family, I'd hate to lose it.

How about replacing hoses, fuel lines, etc? I’ve only done brake line to the rear. Everything is original otherwise re hoses and lines.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Glad to see someone else doing 3,000 mile oil changes too!!!