3rd Brake Light Inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wife got stopped after work today, officer said her 3rd brake light wasn't working.
Any quick checks (fuse, plugs, etc) to do prior to taking it to the dealer?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wife got stopped after work today, officer said her 3rd brake light wasn't working.
Any quick checks (fuse, plugs, etc) to do prior to taking it to the dealer?
Is the whole strip out or just a few led blocks?

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the whole strip, will check when she gets home. Can't imagine you'd get pulled over for a partial inop strip.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I was actually thinking of creating a post just like this. Mine is actually fine, but i will say that lately, probably 10-20% of the expeditions I drive by have an inoperable 3rd brake light. I was actually going to suggest that folks do the old test of either having a familry member check it ever couple weeks, or backing into a spot with reflective glass behind you so you can see it. Definitely made me very aware of it. Likely just a piece of junk that costs hundreds of dollars or more to replace. What really surprises me is that there seems to be a lack of driver feedback as well. Its so stupid simple to put a logic chip in that measures the current draw from the module, and if it goes from 200ma to 0, should notify the driver in the console, very simple!

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, considering you rarely/if ever see the back of the truck with the brakes on, we'd have never known it was out.

HISHONOR

Reaction score
Interesting that wife was stopped. Usually only “need” to have two brake lights working to be legal. Maybe it was a courtesy stop? Mine is partially out, too. Moisture seems to be the culprit. Waiting for it to die totally before replacing it myself.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried looking & didn't see a pigtail/harness going to it, just the rear defrost wires.
Figured easiest quick check would be to unplug/replug it.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 3rd brake light has moisture in it and 3 of the leds"s in the center of the strip is out most likely because of the moisture. (how did moisture even get in there?) Does anyone have a video showing how to replace? I know u have to remove the spoiler and im sure I could figure it out but a video with what to expect before I attempted would be clutch.