4 pin to 7 pin question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndiehm

Reaction score
Adding a 7 pin trailer connection. Using the Hopkins kit. I know the black wire is for power, but do I have to run it to the engine bay and and a circuit to connect to the battery? Under the rear well is a ponytail of wires and it has a white wire and black wire spliced out and grounded into the frame. Is the black power?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope you are using a multimeter in your wiring venture. If you don't have one, go to Sears and get one. If you see that black wire is grounded to the frame it's not a 12v source it's a ground wire. I'm assuming nobody else has attempted any rewiring under your Expy. Your Expy didn't come with a 7 pin already back there? Do you have blank spots in your fuse box for trailer wiring fuses? My '03 only has a 14awg white wire attached to the frame in that area. I'm not sure if that black wire you see is one coming from the fuse box or it's an actual ground for something applicable to your truck and options package. Does the black wire come out of the trailer wiring harness wrap? The white wire on mine does, but it's an actual ground wire for the plug package.

Ford%20Trailer%207%20Pin%20Plug_zps1mwh650v.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

ndiehm

Reaction score
Yes I have a MM. Doesn't appear to have anything added or previously altered. It only came with the 4 pin (going to add the 12 fin cooler next). Just pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Assuming the fuse box in passenger well, yes there are blanks for mini fuses and rectangle.

Uberexpy

Reaction score
Black is ground o (or negative) all 12vdc negative ground circuits. Red is the power or positive to a switch in that circuit. Any other color or combination of colors (think stripes) has some type of switch, light, fuse, or other device between it and the battery (red wire) and ground (black wire).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1