4WD noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbarr73

Reaction score
I have an 03 eddie expy and the front end is making a grinding noise. In two wheel drive it kinda sounds like the wheel hubs are going bad. but when I when I put it in 4-hi The grinding noise becomes much louder, and when i turn it feels as if its binding up. Also when I go to put it back into 2WD it seems like it takes a while to change and when it does it usually makes a big clunk noise. I read a way to test the 4WD actuators and they seem to be locking and releasing fine. If there are anymore test i could please let know!

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an extremely similar issue and the dealer tested all my 4WD components and said the truck was sound and had no issues and the noises were just common and they all do it...... Not sure if that helps at all but it set my mind at ease at least until I sold the truck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jbarr73

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that it has the advantage trac or whatever its called lol and the light on the cluster flashes then it turns the advantrac off if that helps narrow anything down

Last edited:

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have some of those symptoms at the moment caused by u joint on front driveshaft worth a look.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With him also saying that check advtrac it could also be a wheel sensor and the sound is the abs kicking in

OP
OP
J

jbarr73

Reaction score
I replaced the sol and that helped with the clunk noise. But the grinding noise is still there and advtrac light is still on.....I found a set of wheel-hubs think i'm gonna swap them out and see what happens

rollingbear

Reaction score
I also have been having a similar issue on my 2003 fx4 136k mi in 2wd and especially going up a mountain but sometimes on the freeway it starts to grind (sounds like dragging a metal tine leaf rake) but if i engage the awd (no vac at the hubs..it goes away) I read it is a vacuum leak and i replaced my iwe on the pass side cause it had a leak. also replaced all the vacuum lines under the hood cause i was having the a/c dash vent problem so common in these. did all that and thought it was fixed, but no dash vents still flip and hubs still grind some times. did more checking with a vac tester and found a bad check valve at the a/c & hub actuator solenoid. fixed the dash flipping but still have the grinding noise. so i am thinking it is another bad check valve or vacuum leak some where. been to sick to go out and check it again but hope that gives you some thing to check

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry