4x4 non-engaging problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

My 4x4 on my 97 Exp. is not engaging in A4WD, 4H or 4L. The lights go on and stay on on the dash and I hear the clicking sound of engaging and disengaging. I've crawled under the truck and not hearing anything at the transfer case motor, etc.
Anyone had this problem and what is the remedy?

Thanx
Greg::cheers:

OP
OP
G

I am having a similar problem. My 98 EB Exp. can shift into 4AWD but not 4Hi or 4Lo. My light comes on for 4AWD. It goes off when I disengage it. When I turn the 4X4 switch to 4Hi or 4Lo, I don't get any noise from the transfer case either. No lights on the cluster light as well. I have already posted under "Puzzled about my 4X4". I am sure you have read it already. Keep on bouncing back to my post because I think a lot of good info is going to be posted there on this. I wish I could give you some info other than that.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have included a few files in zip format to helpfully explain the functioning of the transfer case. The files themselves are in .pdf format.

I was able to pull the information off of a repair CD that I bought from Ebay. I checked, and there aree a few on Ebay right now (just search for: Ford Expedition Repair CD).

I stopped at the actual dianostic process since there are 57 diagnostic steps, that would generate A LOT of files. I really suggest you invest in the CD ($15-$40 depending on type), or this may be a trip to the dealer.

If you can give more info on what is or is not happening from the descriptions of the process I gave you, then I may be able to pinpoint whcih dianostic step to take.

Let me know how it goes :)

Attachments

• transfercase.zip
    98.9 KB · Views: 465

macshak

Reaction score
Has anyone figured this one out, or is it a dealer/mechanic issue?

Thanks

sispy

Reaction score
I'm experiencing problems recently with the 4x4 system. I have a 97 EB 5.4. Usually I drive it in A4WD, then suddenly there is no light for any of the settings at the dash.

The day I noticed it the light glowed for a minute after I drived for about 5 minutes, and then it went dead. I've tried every single setting and no sound can be heard.

I bought the truck a year ago and it has 82000 miles in it, but in pretty good shape. I'm wondering if its possible that the switch may be responsible.

Any insight or suggestions will be very appreciated, due to the fact that here in Puerto Rico you have to be very carefull with auto shops and mechanics.

Thanx a lot.

Frankie.

b_salgado

Reaction score
There is a known switch problem with the Expeditions. You can pull it apart and clean it out really well then relube it with some di-electric grease and reassemble it. It could also be a bad shift motor. Does it go into 4 HI or 4LO? If so, it is not the shift motor. It could also be the hall effect sensor.... I think thats whats wrong with mine. My A4WD does not work but 4HI and LO work fine. I don't use the AWD feature so I'm not really bothered by it. I hope this has helped!

OP
OP
G

Most of the problems that we have at the dealership are with the engaging motors. On several instances all we had to do was clean the connector. The biggest problem is that most people don't engage the 4wd enough. I would recommend that everyone that has a 4wd engage it once a week just to keep everything working properly. Try disconnecting the connector and cleaning it with some electrical cleaner.

macshak

Reaction score
Currently my '97 Expy is at the dealership. I believe they said the "vacumm harness?" was fried. about $250 for parts and labor. Will give full details when I pick it up later today, hopefully.

sispy

Reaction score
I've already tried with the switch, and it looks fine. I've found out this week that the problem is an intermittent one, for a couple of days ago the A4WD setting worked for about half an hour, then it died again. The 4h and 4l didn't work that time. And my Expy it's a 98 not 97, oops, but I don't think theres considerable mechanical difference. Thanks for your time and all the advice, I'll try every hint and will let you know.

Frankie

b_salgado

Reaction score
97 and 98 are identical. I would put $$$$ on the shift motor. If you can't hear it engage, then it is not turning. Check your fuses first then try the motor. I have seen sucessfull repairs to the motors. You need to pull it apart and clean the brush contacts. They have a tendancy to corrode from non use. The easiest way to prevent this problem is to lock in your 4x4 once a month in the rain and let everything move. This will keep everything in good working order!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluesharktooth26