4x4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the expedition through some trails yesterday and I discovered that it goes into 4x4 low no problem but it does not shit back out of 4x4. I found on the internet how to get it out of 4x4 low by disconnecting the battery but I can't find what the actual problem is to fix it... Any one have any ideas??

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The easiest way to do it is to push the 4x2 button, then put the truck in reverse and roll backwards. While the truck is still rolling, shift the trans in to neutral. It should go in to 2wd.

If it doesn't go in to 2wd, you could have a transfer case motor problem. (very common)

OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you tony!! That worked, what causes that? For now that will work(since I don't use it very often at all) but I would like it to work correctly.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that that info is buried deep in the manual somewhere.

Back in the days of the shift lever, you could just muscle it out of 4 lo, but now that everything is electronic, you need to take the pressure off of the gears to allow the transfer case to shift.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh so your saying that this is how you do it? I just remember that my dads 07 f250 with electric shift went back into 2wd with reverse. But if that is how to do it I'm just glad that it works!!