4x4 Tire Queston / Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjpic

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Exp. EL LTD, just got back from a trip to the outer banks, on the way down I noticed a cut in the sidewall of one of my rear tires, Hankook Ventus ST's 275/55/20. Being a few hundred miles from home with still a few hundred miles to go and not looking to take any chances on a Saturday afternoon I pulled into Pep Boys in Delaware looking for a replacement. They didn't have the same tire, so I bought (2) Hankook Ventus AS tires (Same size) for the rear. After reading much information about tire matching on 4WD vehicles and the not wanting any issues with the ford extended warranty I have, I was looking at the following options:

1) Replace the fronts ST's (At least 80% Tread Left) with AS's?

2) Replace the backs I just bought with ST's?

3) The truck rides straight on the road, if I do replace the fronts should I get a wheel alignment anyway?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

CJ0920

Reaction score
I think you should be fine. You shouldn't have any issues if your running the same size all around.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
....Especially since you won't be running 'locked in' in 4wd on dry roads.

I would imagine that the actual difference in diameter of the old and new tires is actually pretty small.

capitlj

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt any issues will arise form them being different tires of the same size. If they look different tho that would drive me batty I'd get new ones on the front and sell the good two. If they're the OEM tires should be a snap to offload them, probably the place you buy the new ones from will make you an offer.

OP
OP
J

jjpic

Reaction score
I wound up buying 2 new ones, I figured the size difference wouldn't be much of a difference but the different tread was driving me nuts, thanks for the reply.