4x4 to 4x2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
I may have asked about this back in July but I can't remember.
My 99 Expedition EB 5.4 4x4 trans is shot. Friends trans shop quoted $2,800 for a rebuild. No need to go into the cost on this guys, even at 2k, it's just not worth it in my eyes.
Here's my question, can I convert the Expy from 4x4 to 4x2? I've found a recently rebuilt 98 4x2 for about $400. The 4x4 in my truck doesn't work anymore and I have no plans to fix it. So I don't mind keeping it in 4x2. I fully understand the differences in the 4R100 4x4 and 4x2. Is there a way to get the 4x2 trans to work on my truck as is? Can I pull off the front diff/transfer case, use a 4x2 drive shaft, and get th truck working in 4x2?

Right now the short shaft on the drivers axle popped out of the diff and simply makes a lot of noise. If possible, I plan to simply take off the front diff. It's not doing anything and drain of fluid earlier this year.

I've already moved onto another daily driver and the truck just sits in the back 40. Our son wants to get it working since he'll be driving soon. So, if there's something I missed, please let me know....?

Davadid

Reaction score
I too want to do this to my 99 4WD. Plus take out the front cv axled, install drop spindles/lowering torsion keys for the front and a axle flip kit or something less extreme out back. My xfer case hasn't worked since I bought the thing about 6 months ago and I have no plans on taking it back to AWD.