5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69charged

Reaction score
huh. weird. i had mine all together, minus rockers, and turned it no problem cause there was no tension on the cams. i installed the rockers i could in the set position, then rotated clockwise or counter clockwise a little bit to get the rest of the rocker in.
also, sorry for your frustration. i get that way sometimes as well!

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
huh. weird. i had mine all together, minus rockers, and turned it no problem cause there was no tension on the cams. i installed the rockers i could in the set position, then rotated clockwise or counter clockwise a little bit to get the rest of the rocker in.
also, sorry for your frustration. i get that way sometimes as well!

I was very shocked. I was just turning the crank and all of a sudden I heard a noise and now I can stick my hand between the passenger side timing chain and guide it’s so loose. I had it on all teeth and under tension so it must just be stretched.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slowed down and had a few beers (I never drink lol). Got 12 roller followers in and stopped. It’s been miserable and raining all day. I didn’t pull cover off yet I think I’m not going to. My chain on the left side gets tight and then loosens again as I turn the crank so I don’t think it’s lost time. I read a few people on F-150 forum put in brand new chains and had the same loose issue on the pass bank. They say that side won’t tighten up until you have oil pressure. Tomorrow will do some more.

Sorry for the whining guys, it’s not helpful and I really shouldn’t be using the forum as a vent.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was very shocked. I was just turning the crank and all of a sudden I heard a noise and now I can stick my hand between the passenger side timing chain and guide it’s so loose. I had it on all teeth and under tension so it must just be stretched.
Actually they don't stretch at all, they wear and they don't do much of that either. Many people say they will last the life of the vehicle and mine was like new at over 200k miles. I think your tensioners weren't pumped up or maybe the cheese wedge you used slipped or something, you can't touch the crank once the yellow wedge is in there either, it's only for replacing VCT's once you get the timing in the perfect position. I wouldn't invest in new chains but that's up to you. I really like these engines and what they have done with them but they should have updated the tensioners long ago instead of just adding a more robust O ring to them. Chevys come with their own set of problems and you might be swearing at them someday. I went through all this same type of stuff before I got some experience racked up. Nobody said life was easy.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I am going to take timing cover back off for safety. When the timing chain went loose I thought I was turning the engine the wrong way and it turns out I wasn’t. You do turn it right. I started turning it left at that point. Now I turned it by hand right again and a piston is hitting a valve. Locked up and engine won’t spin. Hopefully I didn’t bend it.

69charged

Reaction score
sounds good. the way i did it, it worked flawlessly. would you like me to tell you all that i did? or do you have a way of doing it? not being sarcastic or anything. there are a couple different ways of doing it. one with no rockers in, or the other way with a few in. i did it with no rockers in. and put them in after. put it all together, primed the pump, and started quieter than ever. mine has 340,000 kms on it and i reused the chain and phasers.
when i pulled the pin on the tensioners, they stayed nice and tight the whole time.
clarence

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds good. the way i did it, it worked flawlessly. would you like me to tell you all that i did? or do you have a way of doing it? not being sarcastic or anything. there are a couple different ways of doing it. one with no rockers in, or the other way with a few in. i did it with no rockers in. and put them in after. put it all together, primed the pump, and started quieter than ever. mine has 340,000 kms on it and i reused the chain and phasers.
when i pulled the pin on the tensioners, they stayed nice and tight the whole time.
clarence

I did all the timing with followers out. This time they will all be installed before I do it so they’ll be in. I’ll just line up the R and L and put chains on before I torque the cams down. Not going to play around with the spring tool again. I read the chain going loose is common and normal, lots of guys in the F-150s had this same issue with brand new Ford chains so I won’t worry about that next time.

69charged

Reaction score
Yeah. Ok. Sounds like you’ve got a plan. As a side note, I sure didn’t use that spring tool. Looks like it would be a pain. I just snapped my rockers in.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Ok. Sounds like you’ve got a plan. As a side note, I sure didn’t use that spring tool. Looks like it would be a pain. I just snapped my rockers in.

Thanks for the help, if I have any questions I’ll be asking away lol. Yeah, I’m quickly learning that what we see mechanics do on videos in their shops are full of editing and are non realistic to the real world. That spring tool is just dumb and not effective. The truth is this job is a total nightmare and big screw ups are easy haha.