5551 miles and oil seepage on the shock at rear driver side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If there were no rain today, I wouldn't notice very minor oil stains on my driveway. Brought the vehicle into my garage and found no sign of oil leaking. Then I used my left hand to touch both rear shocks. Greasy stuff on the shock at rear driver side. Come one, Ford, please don't make me miss Mr. Henry Ford too much.

Last edited:

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As been stated before on this Forum..............Motorcraft shocks are poorly made. Bilstein shocks are much better and probably will be be your go to shock after your frustration of dealing with Motorcrafts failure. Ironically Ford said a little seepage was fine until after warranty. They would then attempt to replace on your dime. Granted shocks don't last forever........But come on Ford. Problem.......don't waste your money on a ford shock replacement that will probably end up leaking. Their catch phrase is you will have a year warranty replacement for failure. That's consoling. Don't buy into it.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As been stated before on this Forum..............Motorcraft shocks are poorly made. Bilstein shocks are much better and probably will be be your go to shock after your frustration of dealing with Motorcrafts failure. Ironically Ford said a little seepage was fine until after warranty. They would then attempt to replace on your dime. Granted shocks don't last forever........But come on Ford. Problem.......don't waste your money on a ford shock replacement that will probably end up leaking. Their catch phrase is you will have a year warranty replacement for failure. That's consoling. Don't buy into it.

Thank you for your advice! Bilstein 5100 is absolutely my top preference. By the way, my last vehicle is 2014 RAM 1500, and its shocks have never had any problem with 134000 miles and numerous off-roading tours. I do not bring the Expedition to do any off-road yet, not even on any unpaved road.

Last edited:

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with everything above; but, have one more thing to add:

The rear suspension on these vehicles has very little extension below ride height. The suspension extension is limited by the shock piston hitting the internal extension stop. These vehicles are extremely stiff in torsion. These things combine to generate a situation where the vehicles 3-wheel way more often than the drivers (self included) realize. The combination of the ELSD and all of the wonderful drive modes in the drive line tend to mask this from the driver. There is no excitement or wheel spin, tire squeal, etc. when a rear wheel is lifted. I've lifted rear wheels when crab walking over soft curbs in 2wd and countless times on 2-tracks while off-road. I would have never known if it weren't for people telling me from outside of the vehicle that they were seeing air under the tires.
The point is, the stock shocks are stroking against the internal extension stop more than most vehicles any of us have ever driven and clearly the OEM shocks can't take it. The 5100's are designed differently. They have several ride height adjustments to lift the rear ride height. I chose to install mine at the lowest, or stock, lift setting. The way the 5100's are designed, this setting gave me nearly an inch of additional extension below ride height when compared to the OEM shocks, which keeps all 4 wheels on the ground much more and keeps the piston from hitting the stop so often.

If you install them yourself, you will notice this because the old spring/shock assembly comes out much easier than when you load the assembly with the new 5100 shock. The overall, fully extended length of the strut assembly is about ~7/8" longer with the 5100's. Hopefully the internal stops are designed more robustly on the 5100's.

I noticed my rear shock OEM leak at about 25K. The truck has 45K now, so 5100's have 20K now and no signs of leaking.

If you change them yourself and want to set suspension torques as specified....pick-up something that will go to 408 ft-lbs. Just saying.

Last edited:

dajrdajr

Reaction score
When we bought our 2017 Expy new in December 2017, both rear shocks started leaking at about 6000 miles. Replaced under warranty. At about 10,000 miles one shock had a bad leak, the other was just starting to leak. Replacements for these replacements have not leaked up to the current 50,000 miles point. This is a pretty basic XLT 2wd, minimal towing [no HD Tow pkg], no off-roading, Florida decent roads overall so potholes pretty rare, etc. They just fail too often.