5W-30 instead of 5W-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting but don't forget synthetic gets dirty and contaminated like any other oil. I doubt if any of your vehicles will make it to 200k treated like that.
They might last just fine. But then again I'm not a fan of the cam phasers or the three valve and won't even own one. These do seem to have problems with dirty and contaminated oil and clean synthetic oil does seem to help increase their longevity or when you have to replace those components. Now, having said that. If you say an engine lasts 200,000 miles, do you mean it lasts and is untouched with the timing chain cover or valve covers never being off? Or do you mean it had the cam phasers and change replaced at a 120k like so many of these?
I have seen tons of engines with poor oil change habits and very long change intervals last 250k miles no problem. I have a 5.4 in an expedition that goes 15000 + oil changes and often with standard conventional oil going 12 to 13 thousand miles and it has 260,000 on it.
Very few engines have actually ever worn out do to old dirty oil.
Engines are severely damaged or wear out due to not enough oil in the crankcase, or from sludge or coked up hard buildup preventing oil flow and mainly return down the holes to get back to the oil pan so it can be picked up by the pickup tube and pump it back through the engine. Also, the pickup tube screens get severely clogged up and blocked with contaminants and sludge.
I have seen engines with oil as black and almost as thick as Road tar that continue to run and run and run for years. The Ford modular engine design does have its limitations due to small passages for the oil to return and to get pumped through. They are not as forgiving with thick sludgy oil but sick dirty oil or leaving oil in for 15,000 + miles between oil changes really doesn't wear out engines.

houlster

Reaction score
Good lord. These intervals. I run full synthetic and change once a year @ 5000 - 7000 miles and sometimes feel like I'm abusing it. I'll still keep those as my max intervals, but man I'll never worry about it again.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord. These intervals. I run full synthetic and change once a year @ 5000 - 7000 miles and sometimes feel like I'm abusing it. I'll still keep those as my max intervals, but man I'll never worry about it again.

You are doing it right. Oil gets dirty and around 8,000 miles the filters go into bypass after they get clogged. 15k oil changes are nonsense because the filter cannot maintain its efficiency.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are doing it right. Oil gets dirty and around 8,000 miles the filters go into bypass after they get clogged. 15k oil changes are nonsense because the filter cannot maintain its efficiency.
Not only that but all oil gets dirty and contaminated at the same rate. There is no silver bullet.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They might last just fine. But then again I'm not a fan of the cam phasers or the three valve and won't even own one. These do seem to have problems with dirty and contaminated oil and clean synthetic oil does seem to help increase their longevity or when you have to replace those components. Now, having said that. If you say an engine lasts 200,000 miles, do you mean it lasts and is untouched with the timing chain cover or valve covers never being off? Or do you mean it had the cam phasers and change replaced at a 120k like so many of these?
I have seen tons of engines with poor oil change habits and very long change intervals last 250k miles no problem. I have a 5.4 in an expedition that goes 15000 + oil changes and often with standard conventional oil going 12 to 13 thousand miles and it has 260,000 on it.
Very few engines have actually ever worn out do to old dirty oil.
Engines are severely damaged or wear out due to not enough oil in the crankcase, or from sludge or coked up hard buildup preventing oil flow and mainly return down the holes to get back to the oil pan so it can be picked up by the pickup tube and pump it back through the engine. Also, the pickup tube screens get severely clogged up and blocked with contaminants and sludge.
I have seen engines with oil as black and almost as thick as Road tar that continue to run and run and run for years. The Ford modular engine design does have its limitations due to small passages for the oil to return and to get pumped through. They are not as forgiving with thick sludgy oil but sick dirty oil or leaving oil in for 15,000 + miles between oil changes really doesn't wear out engines.
Sorry, not buying any of that nonsense.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're doing fine with yours. For vehicles that I really want to take good care of I like to change it around 5,000 miles but no later than six thousand miles with full synthetic.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, not buying any of that nonsense.
You need to specify which part you're calling nonsense. The part that I have pulled engines' drain plugs with oil thick and black that still run just fine and Run for years, the part that an engine with oil only changed every 10,000 to 15,000 can still run 250,000 miles,
Or the part that I have an 01 Expedition sitting in my driveway with 253,000 miles on it (I just checked so I could be accurate) that I can show you my logbook where it has gone 13,000 miles between oil changes,
Or my statement that engines don't really wear out due to infrequent oil changes.
I don't think anything in there is nonsense.
There are tons of examples of all the things I mentioned. There are all kinds of 4.6 has in Crown Vics, Lincoln's, Ford trucks, Etc that people never change their oil. I have a friend who has a change the oil in his 95 Town Car in 8 years. It leaks and uses a good deal because of valve stem seals and a valve cover gasket so it kind of parsley self changes. He also pours 15 W 40 Rotella in it. A lot of people think using that all in a 4.6 is nonsense.
I will stand by the fact that most engines don't wear out due to neglected oil changes. Most engines don't wear out anyways. Most engines have a failure or are damaged and have to be replaced or the car junked. This could be due to lack of oil, over-revving and spinning a bearing, massive amounts of leaks that people get tired of but few engines actually wear out because of oil related lubrication issues to where they have low compression due to piston rings sealing. Most engines even with high miles still have nice crosshatch in the cylinders and such. More problems that cause engines to lose compression and not run properly are head, head gasket, or valvetrain and related.
People are free to believe what they want but everything I say is factual experiences from my actual Hands-On experiences. I don't make things up. I just share what I have observed. I'm in no way saying it's a good idea to go 10,000 miles on conventional oil but I am saying it might not make a whole lot of difference in the miles you get out of your engine.
I can also say with certainty and from personal experience that if you don't change your oil enough or hardly at all you can sludge one up enough to blow it up. I bought one from the original owner who apparently didn't change the oil worth a crap and it had so much peanut brittle looking coked-up contaminants inside the oil and on the pickup tube that get starved for oil pressure and flow and welded the camshafts to the heads.
I don't know if he changed it every 7500, every 15,000, or if he never changed in the five years he owned it. It had 82000 miles on it when I purchased it.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got time to edit my last one. Darn speech to text is really making mistakes tonight.