5w30 as soon as possible? 5.4 3 valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ive heard on YouTube from Ford Tech makuloco to go up to 5 W 30 fully synthetic as soon as possible. What do you guys think about this? Is this the best for the longevity of the engine?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive heard on YouTube from Ford Tech makuloco to go up to 5 W 30 fully synthetic as soon as possible. What do you guys think about this? Is this the best for the longevity of the engine?
I think it's a great idea and I just did it on my new to me truck. Other countries lean more towards it and 5 w 20 was recommended to stretch the MPGs for government requirements and to beat the competition (according to many), also it is better for the cam phasers (according to leading mechanics). The clearances are tight on these engines but most are well broken in by now. I rejected synthetic for years but I am a firm believer in it now. It is actually regular oil that has been highly refined and has a good dose of great additives.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes absolutely. I've been running Mobil 1 5w30 for the last 5 years. I'm at 210,000 miles and no timing or phaser work so far. Fingers crossed...

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Millions upon millions of engines run on the manufacturers' recommended oil. I doubt it matters, as long as it's clean and changed regularly.

I hear almost no timing chain rattle at startup since switching to 5w30. When I was using 5w20, there was much more rattle. I was ready to bite the bullet and do the chain/tensioners/guides replacement but tried switching oil weights first. That was 5 years ago. I know I am prolonging the inevitable need to address that problem, but if I can get a little further down the road as-is, I'll be happy. There was a noticeable difference by using the thicker oil. Just my 2 cents....thanks

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear almost no timing chain rattle at startup since switching to 5w30. When I was using 5w20, there was much more rattle. I was ready to bite the bullet and do the chain/tensioners/guides replacement but tried switching oil weights first. That was 5 years ago. I know I am prolonging the inevitable need to address that problem, but if I can get a little further down the road as-is, I'll be happy. There was a noticeable difference by using the thicker oil. Just my 2 cents....thanks
I would put a real gauge in there, I will do a how-to thread on it in about a week (waiting on parts).

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks all. I do hesitate on doing anything but the manufacturer recommendation but in this case it sounds like a lot of people benefit from 5w 30.