6R75 to 6R80 conversion rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GJarrett

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing an Expy to tow a 7,000 lb boat/trailer combo. I have found an '08 Eddie Bauer for sale with heavy duty tow package and 3.73 gears that I will look at this weekend.

It is my understanding that in '09 Ford improved the 6R75 tranny (redesignating it the 6R80) with beefed up internals and software reprogramming that replaces the overdrive lockout with a tow/haul mode with uphill/downhill shift logic that improves performance while towing or hauling heavy loads.

The Expy I am looking at has over 100,000 miles and possibly needs a tranny rebuild. My question is this: is it possible to easily upgrade it to 6R80 specs while rebuilding it? Is it just a simple matter of replacing 6R75 innards with beefier 6R80 innards and controllers? Is the software reprogramming something stored in the 6R80's controllers on the transmission, or is it a complicated affair that would require changing other codes in other computers in the vehicle?

Thanks for any help!

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
My 07 has 184k of pretty good use and has no hint of tranny issues. Just because it has 100k means nothing, it's about maintenance.

OP
OP
G

GJarrett

Reaction score
I agree, but maybe I need to reclarify the question. I'll be maintaining it well of course. However I'm buying it used so I don't know its prior maintenance history except for hearing a rumor that it threw a tranny code once before when o/d acted up but it hasn't since. That has made me wonder that if it acted up before, it may do it again once I stick a 7,000lb load on it.

I'm simply asking that if I do need to get it rebuilt, does anyone here know if it can it be rebuilt to 6R80 specs.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, but maybe I need to reclarify the question. I'll be maintaining it well of course. However I'm buying it used so I don't know its prior maintenance history except for hearing a rumor that it threw a tranny code once before when o/d acted up but it hasn't since. That has made me wonder that if it acted up before, it may do it again once I stick a 7,000lb load on it.

I'm simply asking that if I do need to get it rebuilt, does anyone here know if it can it be rebuilt to 6R80 specs.

To be honest with you, I would call a transmission shop (unless someone posts up that rebuilds transmissions for a living). Their advice is free since they want you to spend the money at their shop, so may as well use it, and they will know best what they can and cannot do.