70mph + vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jr1594

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the car and what it’s been through. I had the same issue and it was definitely the cheap tires the previous owner threw on the front. Swapping those out and I’m riding smooth* (for having 76k on the shocks).
Thanks I am going to pull the trigger on tires first there’s a Les Schwab down the street any all terrain tires they carry you recommend? That vibration is driving crazy hope fully this is the cure !

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree about the Defenders. I use them on my 2011. Bridgestone Dueler is also a popular 70,000 mile tire in my area.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I looked up the tires that it has on there . lin longs crosswind h/t a china brand tire . what tire do you recommend for all terrain tires i love the way the ko2 looks but right now all i want is that annoying 70mph + vibration to go away.
I'm not a fan of these China bombs.. I have always purchased Michelin Quality Tires until this last set of four I bought for my wife's expedition. She only drives it to the beauty shop on friday, less than the little old lady from pasadena. Unfortunately I bought West Lakes. They vibrate at 60 and up and are noisy even below that. Went to have them rebalanced and the shop said don't bother.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try a different shop, I had gone 3x and the original shop's machine was not calibrated. Keep in mind it's all a "range" so if you're within "range" and the machine is off even by 4-5 degrees you'll feel it.
If not that then rotors are usually the next culprit.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
Some people complain about the Hankooks but they've been awesome for me. I'm at 40,000 miles on mine and they have good tread left. Photo attached. Very good on ice and snow. Worked great offroad in Moab three times. Very quiet. I've run them 100mph on cruise many times. Very smooth. I seem to remember Les Schwab only wants to install their tires. I have their brand on my car (Road Control touring) and they are good. I'm very picky about alignment and balance.

Attachments

• 20240415_165315.jpg
    20240415_165315.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240415_165403.jpg
    20240415_165403.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 5

OpticonBill

Reaction score
When I bought my 2019 Expedition MAX XLT it was fitted with Cooper tires with a reasonable amount of tread left. However, when approaching 70 miles per hour a harmonic vibration ramps up over a 6 second period then gradually fade out over the next 6 seconds. Smooth riding for another 6 seconds then the cycle starts all over again.

Given the amount of tread left on the Coopers, I really hated replacing them but being a retired Michelin Engineer, I made the switch to Defenders LTX M/S. Problem gone and car rides like on glass.

Watch for large amounts of weights used to "balance" the tire. Michelin has a process when building the tire to evenly distribute the overlap of each layer of product that is used to build a tire. Each area of overlap creates a little extra rubber (more weight) in that radial location. It shouldn't require a lot of weights to balance a Michelin tire. They also have a method of ensuring tire roundness. Certain types of tire molds are cheaper to build but the tire literally has to be ripped out of those cheap molds after curing which can cause tire deformation. The molds used to make any Michelin tire are more expensive to make but the tire, after curing, is separated from the mold without much stress to the tire and can be easily lifted out of the mold with little effort. After each tire is cured it is checked for roundness, if not round to a specification it is routed to a machine that makes it round and concentric to the bead. I could go on with a number of other details that go into building a Michelin tire that justify its cost.

A side note, a number of methods and processes used to build a Michelin Tire that don't add additional expense have been also applied to building a BF Goodrich tire without the price of a Michelin. That said, the BF Goodrich line will tend to run a little noisier because the tread design is geared towards a different market.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are buying tires get michelin defenders. Also make sure that your tire pressure is not too high. Lower it a bit and see if that helps with the vibration.

OP
OP
J

jr1594

Reaction score
NOT SURE. But after taking it back to the tire shop demanding for them to do a road force test to determine tires are either out of round or can’t be balance to buy new tires they hit me with a MAYBE we found the culprit to your vibration . They go on and tell me sir your expedition is running in 4wd . He goes on and demonstrate to me that the actuator from the cv while he put air in it frees up the cv axle . Once he plugs it back in to the normal line axle is spinning with tire . (While truck is on so it can create vacuum) .
It’s at the shop right now getting worked on hopefully that solves the issues of me going 70+ on 4wd drive cause it vibrate .