'97 2wd electric locking rear diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've noticed that the LSD i have isn't as effective as it could be. so, before I do a rebuild back there I would like to explore my options.

rebuild, or replace with a locking rear diff.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NOt sure I have much in the way of recommendadtions, but I gotta ask - how are you measuring effectiveness?

No, the LSD will never lock up solid, but neither should it let you do a 'one wheel peal'.

If it is acting like an open diff, then definately look at a rebuild, should be much cheaper than replacing the diff entirely. Then too, if you decide to change out the lsd for a locker then you can throw the 'recently rebuild lsd with very low miles' on kijiji and help recoup the cost of the new diff...

Perhaps start with a simple fluid change with high quality stuff and the proper friction modifier to see if it performs more to your expectations.

As far as an e-locker goes, I have been toying with the idea of putting one in my front diff. Unfortunately, the list of higher priority fixes/upgrades is quite long before I seriously look at that myself.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You can certainly do that. Eaton makes an e-locker, there are also selectable lockers from ARB and others, and even cable actuated lockers. They aren't cheap, but they will improve the performance of your 2wd.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the reason I ask, is when the snow hit here in alabama tuesday I was at work. on the way home i made it about 11 miles before I got in a ditch. complicated story but my rear end went in after the front did. when the rear wheels went in I went into 2 and eased on the throttle to try to crawl out. when one tire grabbed ice it felt as it was spinning and making a rumbling sound. but it was much lower than what the tire would've done... it did seem to pull on both tires though as she walked sideways for a bit till the ditch shallowed out. I will try the fluid change and go from there. it's not like I get to try to repeat the problem since this ice only happens once or twice yearly.