rear differential locked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ralix

Reaction score
Sorry I ghosted this thread, got busy over the last week. Thanks for all the thoughts. The slow roll back and forth did not fix the problem. Neither did "break torquing" in reverse! LOL

1. I am going to try to disconnect the battery tonight and drain the power out of the system as a way to hard reset the electrical system. Is that even a thing now? I used that trick on older vehicles to reset the CPU.

2. Also someone suggested hitting the housing with a large sledge hammer to free up the locked gears. Thoughts on that?

3. I've gotten no error messages this whole time, no over heating or anything. What are people's thoughts on longterm wear an tear if I just keep driving it as is?

Thanks again for the help!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I ghosted this thread, got busy over the last week. Thanks for all the thoughts. The slow roll back and forth did not fix the problem. Neither did "break torquing" in reverse! LOL

1. I am going to try to disconnect the battery tonight and drain the power out of the system as a way to hard reset the electrical system. Is that even a thing now? I used that trick on older vehicles to reset the CPU.

2. Also someone suggested hitting the housing with a large sledge hammer to free up the locked gears. Thoughts on that?

3. I've gotten no error messages this whole time, no over heating or anything. What are people's thoughts on longterm wear an tear if I just keep driving it as is?

Thanks again for the help!
1. Worth a try, and should have already been tried. Was mentioned above I thought.
2. Rubber mallet maybe, not a sledge hammer. Leave a dent, and I PROMISE Ford will not cover the repair when and if you take it to them.
3. TERRIBLE idea. You should be driving it as little as possible until you get this fixed. If you haven't already made an appointment, you should immediately do that!

To be clear the locked symbol is not illuminated on the dash? If that is the case, and you press the button, does it light? I assume, you pressed it on and off like a suggested, while moving forward and backwards. If the light indeed turns on and off, with the press of the button, yet it feels like it is still crabbing in the rear when you turn, disconnecting the battery will most likely have no bearing, but still worth a try. You most likely have a physical issues, not electronic.