97 5.4 no acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when she's cold i have no problems but when she warms up i have to put the pedal almost all the way to the floor before she goes anywhere above 3000 rpm. if just just slightly press the pedal she hardly moves faster than the average turtle. does anybody know what it could possibly be?? o she's got 189,*** on the clock and fuel filter done not so long ago.

naslime

Reaction score
Hey have you found the reason for your problem? I seem to have the same problem, although I have a 2003 4.6 expedition.

I will be changing the fuel filter soon. Recently changed spark plugs and all coil packs.

I suspect the problem might be related to a clogged catalytic converter. But if it is, then which one?

Please let me know if u found a solution. Thanx.

SoU1Da

Reaction score
Have you tried having a pressure check done to the fuel line? It should read around 60-65 psi. I read you already changed the fuel filter, so how about the fuel pump. If it's the catalytic converter, start the vehicle and let it run for a few minutes. If it turns red or the heat is far greater than normal to the near touch of hand then that is the problem. I do know that 5.4's have two catalytic converters. Good luck.

naslime

Reaction score
ok Thanx for the quick reply. Im actually new in this forum and so far have found a lot of useful info.

I actually havent changed the fuel filter yet. I ordered it online and should be replacing it this weekend. Hopefully I will notice some improvement from that, specifically when starting up the truck since it doesnt start up right away like it used to.

I dont know how to check the fuel line pressure but will find out and post results when I do it.

I really hope its not the fuel pump but i guess it might have to be replaced if everything else is ok.

Also I will check under the truck for the temp of cats.

Thanx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik