97 EB factory amp question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed a Kenwood (X-791) head unit yesterday into my 97. The front door speakers say "Premium" so I am assuming that I don't have the Mach system. I wired everything up and left the power and ground for the stock amp unplugged, in an attempt to bypass it and use the cleaner Excelon amp to power the stock (for now) speakers. It didn't work, so I wired the amp into the harness and it works as expected for stock speakers.

My question is this: Is the stock amp still powering my speakers or does it just need power to make the stock speakers work. Also, is there a way to bypass the stock amp to clean up the sound for when I put in new door speakers and a sub?

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume you know that the wires that go to the factory speakers, come from the factory amp, you would need and want to run new speaker wiresfrom your speakers in the door and then to your new amp, fr, lf, rr,lr and sub if applicable, also run your remote, ground, and a new power wire, 4 gauge for power is what I like to use, then run your 3 or 4 new rca's from the new head unit to the new amp.

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume you know that the wires that go to the factory speakers, come from the factory amp, you would need and want to run new speaker wiresfrom your speakers in the door and then to your new amp, fr, lf, rr,lr and sub if applicable, also run your remote, ground, and a new power wire, 4 gauge for power is what I like to use, then run your 3 or 4 new rca's from the new head unit to the new amp.

That is what I figured. I was hoping there was an easier option.

Maybe there is someone that has pulled the stock amp and wired the speakers from the outputs on the factory amp.