98 expedition 4.6 engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did a little reading and with the difference in the ports the intakes are not interchangeable. They make an adapter to put a PI intake on non PI heads but not the other way around. Let me look into this a little more to see if I can help you out.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. So apparently in 2001 some but not all truck had the updated PI heads and intakes. Best way to tell is to pull the intake and see the port shapes or find the casting numbers on the head. A PI should say PI.

Pic shows non PI on left and PI on right.

4-6_heads-2.jpg

OP
OP
cleatus

cleatus

Reaction score
I talked to my friend who has the engine, it is a 2002. My 98 has decided to start pressurizing the crankcase. The engine seems to run fine, sounds normal, but it will keep the pcv and the intake full of oil. It has about 30 lbs or less compression on number 2 cylinder. I have read you can drill and tap the intake and add the second temperature sensor my 98 has but I'm still researching. There is a coolant hose connection in the front passenger side of the intake instead of the rear like the 98 expedition.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea all 02 models should have been PI equipped. Was just looking and reading and I think the sensors won't be a problem other than maybe their location vs locations of where yours are currently and if there is any extra sensors that the 98 doesn't have you could leave them unhooked and use your current computer and keep your 2 coil pack waste spark ignition. 02 engine is still a 2v so shouldn't be any issues there... like you said I've seen where people have drilled an extra hole for the coolant passage so rerouting coolant lines shouldn't be too bad, especially if you can do it all while the engine is out.

I know the MAF sensors are the same for the 4.6 and 5.4 between those years lmao!

OP
OP
cleatus

cleatus

Reaction score
I'm thinking I could extend the 98 rear hose location the the front of the 2002. The 98 has two forward intake coolant temp sensors behind the alternator. I saw only one the 2002 f150 intake. I'm feeling a little better about doing this. I may have to look at and the study the 2002 one more time to check for possible sensors differences. I appreciate all the replies and comments. Please keep them coming.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can say also that rebuilding a 4.6 or 5.4 is not that difficult either if you wanted to go that route. I bought our 02 Expy with 200k miles with a rod knocking for $1200. Got the motor out and rebuilt it in my carport. Have put 100k miles on it since then. Or ya know you could do the swap and then save and rebuild the old one beefed up. Options!

OP
OP
cleatus

cleatus

Reaction score
The 4.6 in it was put in there two years ago. It was one I bought from a motor. It has been good for the most part until last week. I've spent a lot on the expedition the last several years. Way more than I should have. New engine, transmission, new gears in the front and back. I have too much in it to give up on it but I spent too much on it for a major engine over haul also. This 2002 engine runs smooth is in great shape and a whole lot more inexpensive than rebuilding my 4.6. I'm just trying to get my son riding again with something dependable without going broke.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I think it was about $900 for for me to rebuild mine but that was with a new crankshaft with matched bearings, all new cloyes timing components, new oil pump, all new gaskets and seals, one new connecting rod, new piston rings for all pistons. I got all this from the dealer or local parts store.

If I had ordered from say rock auto probably could have gotten it all for about $500 lol.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford made many different versions of the 4.6l. There is a Windsor and Romeo truck versions. There is Mustang/crown vic/town car version. There is a 32v INTECH version. There is a 3v valve version. The Romeo has an aluminum block and was used in Mercury Mountaineers and V8 Explorers. Expeditions use the Windsor(vin W,6). Ford Trucks used the Windsor and Romeo, with a cast iron block/Al heads. A guy on Youtube did the Romeo/Windsor swap, without too much mods. It worked, but had swap/save various parts. If its 'L' code vin on both trucks it should work, but only long block. Look for a same year donor vehicle.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rj, you forgot about the aluminum Teksid motor pre 99 from Italy! From what I've read up on, it's best to keep it all Romeo, or all Windsor. Some items can be swapped, but most are not. If your real technical yeah, swapping can be done, but with some tweaking. Easiest bet though, keep the years same or close, and have at it.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk