99 4.6L Mystery Tick Tear Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a couple threads that covered a couple topics. So at the suggestion of another forum member i'm starting a tear down thread as I find the issue.

Back story - I have a really bad tick. Probing around with the stethoscope the sound was loudest at the second to last bolt on the bottom. It could be an exhaust leak but it really sounded like valve and just to be safe I wanted to tear into her.

Tonight I got the valve cover off on the drivers side. It was fairly easy to get off. It required taking the power steering fluid reservoir, bracket, disconnecting the coil pack, cam position sensor, and removing the egr tube ( 1 1/16 wrench btw ). I also removed the intake tube and sensors.

Here is the result. I expected to pull it off and get a nasty sludge blocking all sorts of oil passages but much to my surprise ---

1546461_10203224309789082_356315779_n.jpg

I noticed a light dusting of fine metal particles around the second from the sprocket cap. I took that cap and the third cap off and noticed some scarring to the cam and cap more so on the cap then cam. The cam was fairly smooth still the caps were a little rough. I can't seem to get a good picture of the caps unfortunately.

I turned the engine over with the two caps off - redneck style. By redneck style I mean I used a pair of jumper cables to short the solenoid to turn over the engine. Most people would probably use a switch, or a second person, I improvised.

Oil seeped from under the cam on those two caps I removed. So I know it's getting oil.

Previous to taking those two caps off I took the first cap off closest to the sprocket where I figured the oil restrictor was. I wanted to check if it was plugged in any way shape or form. No plug was found. I started the engine with that cap off and oil sprayed 10' away -- video of that will be coming shortly. It was quite amusing watching it spray everywhere. I'll probably develop cancer soon from the oil bath I took.

So basically here is what i've found other then the scarring that might be causing my tick... nothing. No keepers rattling around, everything feels tight. Lash adjusters seem to be functioning correctly. No observed tick with the engine not running.

So the thought now since the sound is towards the bottom of the head and isn't apparent when turning over the engine without combustion that it is an exhaust leak.

Since the scarring is relatively minor and the caps are getting adequate oil, i'll likely just slap it back together and deal with the tick. If I have more stuff break at a later date that requires digging further into the engine i'll take both heads off, do a valve job and replace the scarred head.

So I guess my next project is still to drop the pan and check/change the oil pickup tube to hopefully solve my oil pressure issue at highway speed.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's interesting. I get a bad tick on my driver's side too that sounds like valve noise. Look for broken studs along the manifold. Very common cause for exhaust leaks. Also the two bolts that connect the manifold to the cats have been problem children for me.

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what the caps look like.

EDIT:: link was requiring a login for some reason -- https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AJE5fWXdhw9PAUY&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg

They look a lot worse then the cam. The cam is pretty smooth for the most part.

Before I put her back together i'm going to do what some might consider bad. It seems like some suggest it and some don't.... Take emery cloth and knock the rough spots out of my caps - toss some plastigage on and check clearance. If its still in range i'll get some more life out of this ol girl's top end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know off the top of your heads what the acceptable cam cap clearance is on a 4.6? I read somewhere that it is .001 - .002 or something like that but can't seem to find it in the manual.

Gonna polish the scored caps and use plastigauge to check them before I determine if I need to just replace the head or not.

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After breaking off a cam cap bolt.... I put the caps back on today, torqued to spec and fired the beast up. No tick. It was missing pretty bad but with most of the vacuum lines and sensors disconnected i'm surprised it runs at all...

So I guess the tick wasn't exhaust after all, could have just been lose caps letting the cam ride a little high and tapping on the rockers I suppose..

The cam cap damage was due to lack of oil so that's my next project. Dropping the oil pan monday morning to clean or replace the pickup screen/tube and check the main bearings for grins while i'm in there.

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took the oil pan off today. The pickup tube was clogged with grit and plastic timing guide pieces.

I'm hoping someone changed the guide in the past and just didn't clean the pan. Going to see about getting an inspection camera in there to check the guides.

The pan wasn't fun to take off but wasn't too terribly bad. I lifted the engine a few inches until the throttle body almost was touching the firewall. After taking the bolts out the pan drops slightly and can be moved forward and back exposing the three bolts holding the pickup tube on. Removed those and the pan slid right out!

48107_10203270267017984_1426122329_n.jpg

10009305_10203270271058085_604844509_n.jpg

Took the pan to the shop and jet washed it and the pickup tube, look like new now and will be a lot less greasy putting back in!