99 5.4L New fuel pump, no power/low power to pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Scan your system for pending faultcodes. Many do not show up as a check engine light, but will be present. Purchase a BAFX OBD2 scanner from ebay, then use any PC laptop and download FORscan (free for personal use) and scan your truck.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Besides scanning for OBD2 codes, which is your best bet, you would have to do the diagnosis routine, where you measure the fuel delivery system at different points along its path. Don't rule out a faulty PCM either.

But in your case I would definitely suspect the fuel pump relay. Just replace that first, before you do anything fancy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HiTekRdnck

HiTekRdnck

Reaction score
Thanks and0r. However due to lack of funds I will not be able to purchase the scanner you recommended for quite some time do I will have to go the slow route and check each thing in the process.

Also a note for bedrck47, I was mistaken when I said it was fuse #30. I didn't read carefully enough and only after I posted I realized it was fuse #18 under the hood.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The relay is cheap, and there is a very good chance it will fix your problem. I would say over 80%

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced with a new one?
Get a circuit diagram for your fuel system, it shouldn't be difficult to pinpoint. I would tell you what to check next if I saw the diagram.

OP
OP
HiTekRdnck

HiTekRdnck

Reaction score
Thanks to bedrck47 I have all the necessary wiring diagrams for the fuel electrical and corresponding systems

Kenko

Reaction score
Thanks to bedrck47 I have all the necessary wiring diagrams for the fuel electrical and corresponding systems
Did you check the fuel module just behind the rear driver wheel well? It should have a protective plate on the frame rail.
Salt and rust will eat components and circuit board due to exposure to elements. Very common issue with 5.4 Im hearing.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you check the fuel module just behind the rear driver wheel well? It should have a protective plate on the frame rail.
Salt and rust will eat components and circuit board due to exposure to elements. Very common issue with 5.4 Im hearing.

DISREGUARD the above information The 1999 Expedition DOES NOT have a FUEL PUMP DRIVERS MODULE as stated above

Providing this type of information will only send the OP on a wild goose chase

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kenko, just for the record, fuel pump driver module came only on 2005, 2006, expeditions. It was done away on the 2007 model, thank god. They were mounted underneath by the spare tire, and were susceptible to water, snow, mud, and just about everything else. Another genius boner from our friends at the Blue oval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk