'99 expedition 5.4 will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbailey888

Reaction score
the truck shut off while parked at a light. it had power enough for lights and radio at the time. i tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. pulled it home and started looking over connections to and from the battery and didn't find any corrosion and everything seemed to be connected. while trying to start it a few more times it began to loose power. i took the battery and alternator to be tested and they charged to battery and said the alternator was bad. i put in a new alternator and the same problem-would not turn over but lights, radio and windows work. i am going to disconnect the battery until i hear from some of you. could a bad fuel pump cause these problems? thanks ahead for any input

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like you might need a starter

mustangswan

Reaction score
When you say you tried to start it, does it turn crank over? If it does not it maybe the starter solenoid. If it cranks,but does not start, there are many things it could be( fuel pump, eec power relay, fuel pump relay, inertia switch, crank sensor...) A little more info.

OP
OP
J

jbailey888

Reaction score
it will crank but will not start over. can you check fuel pressure without the engine starting? i pulled the fuel filter off and there was gas coming out. if it were the starter bad the engine wouldn't crank would it?

Last edited:

opie

Reaction score
open up your air intake as if you were going to change your air filter, and while someone is turning the truck over, spray a little (very little) bit of starting fluid where your air cleaner is at. If the truck fires then you have a fuel problem, if it doesn't fire than you have an ignition problem.

mustangswan

Reaction score
THere is a valve that looks like a tire air valve that is the fuel pressure port, you can check fuel pressure there. It is located on the passenger side of the engine above the #3 spark plug coil on the fuel rail. Should be a black tire cap on the valve.
Also to check to see if the fuel pump is running, if you turn the key from off to "run", the fuel pump relay will run for 1 sec. And if you get under the truck and have someone work the key you should be able to hear the fuel pump run in the tank for 1sec. Also check the inertia switch on the passenger side kick panel, under the glove box froward of the door opening.
Another thing to check is the "check engine" light, does it come on when the key is turned on? This tells you the the computer is powering up.
Hope this is helpful.