99 expedition with odd pronblem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deltaman 9

Reaction score
Had this 99 with the 5.4 and automatic for 5 months.

Here are the symptoms---suddenly no lights for awd, 4 high, and 4 low.

This happened when while stopped and switched from 4 high to AWD.

Vehicle starts and runs but MPH goes high while RPM s seem normal--disconnected battery and no change.

If anyone has a idea or suggestions I would appreciate them.

Going to look at fuses tomorrow

Help! :lazer:

OP
OP
deltaman 9

deltaman 9

Reaction score
solved

Just in case someone encounters a similar problem in a 1st generation: 2 bottles of Pilsner and some internet research found what to do:

Start vehicle, put foot on brake and hold it while shifting to Neutral (not park etc)-----wait several seconds with brake depressed (about 5 in my case) and listen for the click as the 4x4 relay engages.

ALL MY ISSUES WERE GONE AND VEHICLE WAS BACK TO NORMAL. Like of lot of people I found nothing about this in the factory manual---and I really like and enjoy driving this vehicle.

All the 4x4 dash lights came back instantly and the vehicle and transmission function normally.

Trying to disconnect the battery and backing up etc did nothing.

Just in case or FYI my wife thinks I am great (my fault but Ford"s for not including this in the owner manual)

S.:tongue:

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to hear that you found the solution to your problem, and thanks for sharing it with us.

2 bottles of Pilsner

Cool

And here I thought I was the only one that drank pil anymore and was single handedly keeping them brewing the stuff.