99 stuck between 4hi and 4lo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick Edge

Reaction score
Ok so went and bought a 99 expedition today. Eddie Bauer edition, completely loaded with everything except for sunroof. 150k miles, 1 owner, minimal underbody rust and no outer rust/damage.

Test drove it and it ran great, no problems at all. Well then went to test 4wd and it got stuck engaged. Guy wanted 3k because of mileage and condition but I talked him down to 2k and paying for a tow to my house.

So the problem obviously is that it's stuck in 4wd. Dash says 4wd, but when you put it in gear the whole truck twists, just like my old dodge did in 4lo. When you first turn it on you can hear a relay clicking inside the dash a couple times, then finally just lights up 4wd and stays there. Can't hear anything underside working. Turning the switch, no matter what position you change the switch to it still just reads 4wd, and no noise from underside.

Driving back and forward it's fine, but the moment you go to turn the wheel it starts popping and clicking. Forward or reverse.

Also the speedo reads WAY higher than it really is. Like 30mph at just over idle.

Other issue is the gear shift has the infamous ford wobble/looseness. Wasn't sure if that gear position error could be causing anything.

Tried pulling fuse 104 under the hood and that didn't help at all.

Thoughts or easy fixes?