A/C blowing hot at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

offutd

Reaction score
Check your fan clutch, and that your fan is turning, matching RPM increases. You should only be able to spin it about a half turn by hand with the engine off. If you have a garden hose, spray a mist of water in the front grill to cool the condenser and radiator and see if your AC compressor kicks on and stays on.
This morning I went out and spun the fan it had some drag but would go around and around now the engine was cool from sitting all night so I'm thinking the engine needs to be at normal temp then you shut it off and see if the fan will spin or not. While I was inspecting the fan I noticed some build up on the left side of the radiator looking through the grill something is leaking going to dig more into it tonight and see whats up may have found my issue though

OP
OP
O

offutd

Reaction score
after taking apart the front of the vehicle yesterday i could defiantly tell had been leaking there was black sludge from dirt and whatever is mixing with it built up on about 1/5th of the condenser I washed it all off but could not pin point a leak. I also noticed coolant being low at cold fill yesterday morning so going to top off the coolant tank. Obviously thinking i have a coolant leak going to monitor the area over the next few days to see if i can pin point it. Also while vehicle was running yesterday and A/C blasting put the a/c in a can on it and it was perfect in the green.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Low side gauge only shows half systems pressures. High side pressure readings will help with figuring it out, along with actual pressure readings and ambient temps.

10Expedition

Reaction score
I had my AC charged and checked out. It's still not terribly cold, especially if it draws outside air. And yes, it gets worse when in traffic. Not sure it's because of the large cabin or it's just undersized. I am not sure the rear AC helps much. It's the same air getting siphoned off, I think.