A/C Inverter 2017 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I have the factory power inverter in my Expy. Has anyone put a multi-meter to theirs? I'm only getting 101.5 vac out of mine. Other than replacing the factory plug on the back of the console with a beefier one, mine is stock. I solder well, so the resistance added from that shouldn't have much of an affect.
140w is a complete joke, so at some point I'm planning on replacing the factory inverter with something else. It's a very easy install, I just need to figure out which one I'm going to use when the time comes.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used mine several times and it's on par with a cheap Coleman inverter.

If you really need power, go get a real inverter, connect it to the battery and you won't have to worry about frying the stock internals.

jeff

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I don't know why they bothered. It looks like it was developed by a freshman intern. They ran ~18-20 ga wire to the blades and didn't even run a ground. 101 vac if mine is working correctly? What a joke. Ford, you can do better... Especially on a $70k+ rig.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know why they bothered. It looks like it was developed by a freshman intern. They ran ~18-20 ga wire to the blades and didn't even run a ground. 101 vac if mine is working correctly? What a joke. Ford, you can do better... Especially on a $70k+ rig.
Its for a laptop, not a blowdryer or microwave.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Its for a laptop, not a blowdryer or microwave.
I wouldn't trust my laptop to a bad source like that. I wanted to use it for that, so I'll have to upgrade the system at some point.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
100.6 here and very disappointing.

But I have a 4000w inverter I connect directly to the battery with heavy cable when I need to run power tools like an air compressor when working on my travel trailer at the storage yard. Just connect, idle the engine, and switch it on. Much handier than carrying a generator for this task. I don't task it beyond perhaps 2000w.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Am presuming this is the 110v ground wire. Just curious, what would it do in this case?
Electrically speaking nothing as you wouldn't be able to run a true ground. Grounds; however, are an important part of supporting a plug. This is one of the reasons why it's common practice now to install plugs 180 degrees to traditional installations. This is more than likely the reason mine failed in the first place. It was like ****** after a good night. You know, sausage down the hallway and all that... Very loose to the point where the plug wouldn't stay in or make a connection.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Electrically speaking nothing as you wouldn't be able to run a true ground. Grounds; however, are an important part of supporting a plug. This is one of the reasons why it's common practice now to install plugs 180 degrees to traditional installations. This is more than likely the reason mine failed in the first place. It was like ****** after a good night. You know, sausage down the hallway and all that... Very loose to the point where the plug wouldn't stay in or make a connection.
You mean the physical shape of the plug, right?

I must know...which is the traditional installation of an electrical outlet? Ground lug on top or bottom?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You mean the physical shape of the plug, right?

I must know...which is the traditional installation of an electrical outlet? Ground lug on top or bottom?

OH, I am so tired of this!!!
The traditional is the two slots on top and the round ground on the bottom, but SOMEONE decided that IF IF IF...the plug were to work its way almost out and a metallic object...A fairly flat or thin one....get this....FELL on the plug it would....guess what.....Wait for end of the world- short them out and spark and blow trip the breaker or even less on a GFI (and they have those new whatever they are called GFI Super duper ones).
If you put the round prong up and the same item falls, it is more likely to deflect off to the side and not connect any terminals.

NOPE: I will live the rest of my life with upright -correct- receptacles. I will use a gasoline mower (at any hour of day I choose) pour gas or gas with oil or diesel on stumps and brush to burn them.....and not drop flat metal objects down along walls with cords sticking out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlself