about to buy the expy 2012 basic 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

naim

Reaction score
hello guys,

I bought my first ford car in 2009 -ford edge limited- and after using honda civic, Mercedes E 280, I decided to switch to american/canadian cars. the edge did me very well, but now am about to buy the expedition 2012 and I was wondering if any of the recent owners of expy had faced any troubles with the car, or if there are common faliures to expect in the vehicle.
I'm torn between the expy and Tahoe/Yukon, I really need your advice.

Thank you

thegeneral

Reaction score
For me, in my opinion, it's about price.

the Yukon/Suburban/Tahoe is a better built SUV. Which brings a higher price tag.

The Expedition is amazing and will give you everything you need/want, but my 2008 has bubbling paint on the hood and tailgate, and shudders when downshifting up a hill.

Ford was no help on the 5 year old paint job bubbling up, which puts it in my court, for me to pay for.

I owned a 2000 Yukon XL with almost 250,000 miles when I sold it, perfect paint, transmission, engine, and is still going strong with the new owner.

I also know someone who owned a 98 expedition with 300,000 miles that is still kicking (albeit on its third transmission).

So, for me, it's all in the pocketbook and what is the look that you're going for,

For me, the expedition handles/drives much more solid, like a BMW, but the Yukon/Tahoe is more reliable.

Up to you 2012 SUV buyer!

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're going to use the third row at all, make sure you sit in it in both vehicles. When I bought my 2007 EL, I tried a Suburban and couldn't even put my size 11 shoes straight in the floor space of the Suburban. I had to turn them sideways to fit! The Expedition's third row ain't bad at all.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear 12's and don't have a prob sitting in 3rd row...5'11 and I'm always in 3rd row tuning my system

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Toyman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The deciding factor for me was the fold flat 2nd row seating (cargo load) and the fold flat 3rd row seat. Now I wasn't looking at 2012's but the GM equivalents ('08 - '10) did not have these features.

dariod

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my opinion Ford vehicles are more reliable then GM. I am in Limo bussiness and Lincoln Town car is better then Cadillac Deville. Lincoln navigators are more durable then escalades and expedition has the most third leg room. Most fleet cars are and more becoming Fords due to their relaibility compared to GM

Drth Vdr

Reaction score
I was in the same boat exactly 2 years ago. Here's how I made my decision:

1) interior usable space - expedition wins over Tahoe / Yukon hands down. The fold flat 3rd row is a huge step up from the GM standard length SUVs this regard (theirs flip forward, and are able to be removed. power fold flat is HUGE). When comparing the Expedition EL vs. the Suburban / Yukon XL, the Expedition wins again. It's a bigger vehicle, and the engineers made sure to make the extra exterior space show up on the interior too. The Suburban / Yukon XL gives more 3rd row foot and leg room vs. the Tahoe / Yukon, but the standard-length Expedition gives still more. The only thing to look at is whether you will ever have more than 4 people in the car, if so, this is a big deal. If not, don't worry about it. I went with a standard length Expedition Limited, and will plan to go to an EL or Navigator L if/when we have child #3.

2) exterior styling - it was honestly a toss-up between the Denali / Escalade and Expedition Limited. All of them look good. Some days wish I had the growl that the Denali exhaust has from the factory, but that's only a muffler swap away.

3) reliability - these are all big trucks, can handle serious work and if maintained well will last a LONG time. My '08 Expedition with 50k miles is the stiffest, most sturdy vehicle I've ever owned. The doors on it close more solidly than my '11 Lincoln MKX and my '08 BMW 5 series. It rolls down the highway better than any car I've ever owned, those other two included. The paint bubbling is a PITA, but if you get a new one or one under its 3/36 warranty, any paint bubbling issues will be taken care of under warranty. Just make sure to do a thorough check before you roll over that 36k mile mark.

4) fuel economy - none are great, but honestly they are all better than they have any right to be. Big, heavy, tall bricks rolling down the road, powered by 300+ hp V8s don't get good fuel economy. The Expedition is much better than my Wife's prior car, the underpowered Hummer H3.

5) price- the Expedition is a good deal, when compared to the GM versions. You can get a fully loaded up Limited or King Ranch for many 1,000s less than the Denali / Tahoe LTZ / Escalade.

I wear 12's and don't have a prob sitting in 3rd row...5'11 and I'm always in 3rd row tuning my system

I'm 6'1, 220 lbs and wear size 13. I have sat in the 3rd row for a couple quick trips around town, and it was quite comfortable.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well if we're gonna talk about weight...lol...i go between 205 and 250...depending on if im going for muscle and power or lean/cut...no...im not a body builder...summertime is when i slim/cut and winter is gain...thats what our bodies naturally do anyways...i was 240lbs in april...down to 225 lbs now...by august hoping to be below 200...then i'll bulk up again during the winter...

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have some out of town relatives visiting this week and with this thread in mind, I took a 20-mile trip tonight with my father and I sitting in the 3rd row, my kids sitting in the front 2 rows with my 17-year old son driving. There was plenty of space, we were totally comfortable. The rear air also works much better than I realized!

Oh, and I'm pushing 275 or so...

=)

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
naim depends if you want an independent rear suspension or a solid axle. The expedition is a nicer ride, while the gm suvs will ride more like a truck(harsher ride). Also depends on if you are keeping it stock or trying to lift it. If lifting gm has more options. and i fit in 3rd row if i sit sideways by myself. size 15 shoes kinda hard to fit most places.

Last edited: