ABS light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Subcanis

Reaction score
ABS light comes on very frequently if I experience some kind of wheel spin under acceleration on ice or dirt. Sometimes under hard acceleration on dry pavement, but it's pretty infrequent in that circumstance. If I cycle the ignition it goes away. I just did the front ball joints so I looked at the hubs and sensors pretty close and didn't see any issues there. The truck has done this since I bought it several years ago, and I've just considered it an annoyance until now. It seems to be getting worse however, so I'd like to get it addressed.

Any sage advice/thoughts?

99 XLT 5.4 btw.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check the wiring to the rear abs speed sensor on axel housing. Give the wires a little pull to check for broken wire in casing.

If wires check out, test sensor with ohm meter, should be around 800 to 1500 ohms, if i remember right, been awhile and im getting old.

If bad replace sensor, should fix problem

Common problem is usually a faulty abs speed sensor in axel housing, so lets hope you have a common problem.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with the above post

You may want to pull the rear sensor and take a close look at it They sometimes get dirty and just cleaning the end of the sensor helps May be a good idea if that is the case to change the rear fluid