Add DVD headrests- audio through stereo or fm modulator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

momof4

Reaction score
We found a 2018 Expedition Limited that we are considering purchasing but it does not have the DVD headrests. My dealer says he can add it after the fact but I'm concerned the sound would go through an FM modulator as opposed to being directly connected to the car's stereo. Since the new expedition has the EVO by developer VOXXHirschmann Corp I can't seem to verify if dealer added headrests are the same sound quality. Does anyone know?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We found a 2018 Expedition Limited that we are considering purchasing but it does not have the DVD headrests. My dealer says he can add it after the fact but I'm concerned the sound would go through an FM modulator as opposed to being directly connected to the car's stereo. Since the new expedition has the EVO by developer VOXXHirschmann Corp I can't seem to verify if dealer added headrests are the same sound quality. Does anyone know?
Welcome to the forum.

I would question the dealer and ask them if they are installing the factory system. If not, order what you want, don't settle for something that isn't going to be exactly what you want otherwise you will always be disappointed by it.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just built an iPad mounting system that mounts an iPad between the two front seats. We use the bluetooth audio for sound. I'll post a write-up one of these days.

I don't think I'd ever get DVD headrests, the iPad setup for us is just way more flexible.

MiddKid

Reaction score
That’s the one option we choose not to add to our rig. We had screens in our old truck and while we didn’t allow them to be used except on road trips, when we did allow it the kids ALWAYS chose to use their own devices or borrow one of our phones. The passive watching of a shared screen held no interest for them.

The amount saved by not adding that option is YEARS of tablet/device purchases and upgrades for the kids.

That’s us. Especially since we’re a “no screens” family with local driving. If you always used them it could be different.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here, we only set up the iPad mount on cross-country treks. We might set it up on shorter trips occasionally but usually not.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or just go online and order Sylvania or other cheap DVD players, 13" screen is $99 (sit it on full duffle bag or squeeze onto console sideways) and can later bring it into hotel/house to play kids movies. Get audio splitter with it so 2 people can use headphones. Beats the heck out of a $2,000 optional system that if there is an accident with the headrest design will probably injure whomever is watching!!

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I would question the dealer and ask them if they are installing the factory system. If not, order what you want, don't settle for something that isn't going to be exactly what you want otherwise you will always be disappointed by it.

I totally agree. If you want the screens, find an Expy with them factory installed. Dealer installed electronics always have problems and never work as nice as the factory installed ones. In the long run it’ll be worth it to wait and get the Expy you want, already built correctly to your specs, by Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You wont have any issues getting it installed from the dealer. They have a special "technical" department and team of installers that only do one thing and that's install options that weren't preinstalled when it was built. And yes the sound will go through an FM modulator whether its factory installed or installed later. You just tune to a specific FM channel and you'll get the sound. The real question is why do you want to listen to whats playing on TV's you cant see? When I purchased my 17 EL I added the DVD system, Weathertech mats and window tint to the final price. They ordered the system from Ford because they come already installed in new headrest. I came back two days later and dropped my truck off about 9am. Around 12 they called me and said it was ready. Apparently my truck as I'm sure others do come prewired for the system. All they do is swap headrest, make a couple connections under the seat and its a done deal.

Dealer installed electronics always have problems and never work as nice as the factory installed ones.

No they don't

You think the lifted F150's and Superduty's with TV's and big wheels and tires come that way from the factory? They don't. Those are dealer installed extras and are done all the time without issue. Plus when theyre dealer installed after the fact theyre still covered under warranty

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wont have any issues getting it installed from the dealer. They have a special "technical" department and team of installers that only do one thing and that's install options that weren't preinstalled when it was built. And yes the sound will go through an FM modulator whether its factory installed or installed later. You just tune to a specific FM channel and you'll get the sound. The real question is why do you want to listen to whats playing on TV's you cant see? When I purchased my 17 EL I added the DVD system, Weathertech mats and window tint to the final price. They ordered the system from Ford because they come already installed in new headrest. I came back two days later and dropped my truck off about 9am. Around 12 they called me and said it was ready. Apparently my truck as I'm sure others do come prewired for the system. All they do is swap headrest, make a couple connections under the seat and its a done deal.

No they don't

You think the lifted F150's and Superduty's with TV's and big wheels and tires come that way from the factory? They don't. Those are dealer installed extras and are done all the time without issue. Plus when theyre dealer installed after the fact theyre still covered under warranty

Installing a factory made part (dvd) at the dealer is different. I was referring to having a dealer add an aftermarket dvd system.

zarga

Reaction score

I was in the same situation. I was promised it would all work out, yadda, yadda, yadda. (I didn't want FM modulated and I didn't want to buy multiple ipads, keep them charged and keep track of them. Plus, I would have very little control over what the kids were doing on them while we were driving. Additionally, if they had a problem, I couldn't help. )

I emailed Voxx and here was their reply (11/30/17):
The system that is being offered and installed in the 2018 Ford Expeditions will only be available as a factory installed option, there unfortunately will not be a version available at this time for after sales.
The Entertainment System does come equipped with 2 wireless headphones for listening so that others in the vehicle can still listen to the radio station of their choice.
We decided to purchase one with the factory installed headrest. I know it will work and I can control it through from the nav/screen. "You're fighting? No movie." (Yeah, I'm mean that way.)