Adding Brake Controller - Gain not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblackpearl

Reaction score
I bought an "OEM brake controller" from ebay. And plugged it in.

Used Forscan to enable a brake controller module. It did not have the Brake Controller Gain module in Forscan.

With this setup, when I plug in the trailer I get a "Trailer connected" message and I can setup the blind spot monitoring etc. . The lights on the trailer work after I setup a trailer. So the car detects it.

But I am not sure if the brakes are working: Everytime I set the gain, or use the slide-brakes, it says "No Trailer".

It is a 2500lb trailer - when I am braking, I can feel the stress on the car's brakes. So I am not sure what could be happening.

Any thoughts?

P.S: For the issue of "Gain" not showing up in Forscan, I went through this thread on Forscan forum, and used older versions of Forscan to get the "gain" enabled, but it fails with a "Write failed. Incompatible block" error. This leads me to believe that the gain setting cannot be set in these newer models on Forscan?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you certain there are electric brakes installed on your trailer? I am asking this because it only weights 2500 lbs.

OP
OP
T

theblackpearl

Reaction score
Are you certain there are electric brakes installed on your trailer? I am asking this because it only weights 2500 lbs.
Sorry that is the dry weight. GVWR is 3500lbs. I am fairly certain they have brakes but can double check.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2016 F150 and had the same issue with an "OEM ebay" brake controller I bought. Although mine had the setting. I referenced the coding for the 2019 f250 we had and noticed from the factory with a factory trailer brake controller the TBC module was enabled but the gain was not (ON A ALL FACTORY 2019 F250 with a factory trailer brake controller). On my F150 I had the setting for the gain and enabled it and it worked.

What I did to test was I used to alligator test leads and clipped them to the trailer brake pin and ground in my 7 pin connector then connected the other end to an incadescent light bulb socket with a halogen bulb in it. And everything worked properly - when I pressed the brake pedal the bulb light up and when I pressed the pedal further the light got brighter depending on the gain setting.
I would highly recommend testing with a light bulb to see if you are even getting power out of the trailer brake circuit. AND CONFIRM YOU HAVE THE CORRECT PART NUMBER!

About 6 months ago when I tried purchasing a trailer brake controller it was the wrong part number and caused my brake lights to stay on - but not the third brake light interestingly enough. The f150 had to designs for the trailer brake controllers; JL3Z-19H332-AA & JL3Z-2C006-AA which have now been replaced with newer models starting with G. My truck required the 332 part number which does not have the pro-trailer assist feature built into my trailer module that is under the drivers side dash. 006 is the module for those that do have pro-trailer backup assist.

I actually bought mine from Amazon, here is the link

Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance. I do have a 2017 Ford Expedition that I can check the programming on for you but it came with a trailer brake controller from the factory.

Backinblack

Reaction score
Bought our trailer new and the same thing was happening, had to have the brakes adjusted out, they were so far in the self adjusters were not working.

OP
OP
T

theblackpearl

Reaction score
Thank you for your detailed message. Here is how I tried it: I put up the wheels on jacks, rotated them and then got someone to hit the brake. Even though the "no trailer" message shows up in the dash, the tires stop after a while.

But I am not sure if the brake pressure is being respected. that is what I need to test next

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65