Adding lane change/blind spot assist to '14 Expedition limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive a lot and I think the lane assist would be a good safety addition. What would be really nice is something that alerts me for that damn blindspot on the passenger side front pillar. I've been surprised more than once when taking a left by that blindspot.
What are my options?

Edit: maybe it's the passgener side middle pillar that is the left turn blind spot.

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive a lot and I think the lane assist would be a good safety addition. What would be really nice is something that alerts me for that damn blindspot on the passenger side front pillar. I've been surprised more than once when taking a left by that blindspot.
What are my options?

Edit: maybe it's the passgener side middle pillar that is the left turn blind spot.
My wife's 2016 Expy mirrors have a smaller (in top corner, built in) for the blind spot & it isn't any kind of electronic system. I will try and get a picture of it and post. They work well, I just haven't gotten used to checking it yet! [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the BLIS system in '17 and find it almost useless. I light will illuminate in the side mirror indicating a car is in your blind spot. Unfortunately I have a lot of false positives in winter thanks to the large snow banks along the roads. Even in summer I get false positives for one reason or another. I don't rely on it and do shoulder checks reguardless of what the light says.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are aftermarket options. My local car electronics shop, for example, sells a Crimestopper BSD-200 system (2 hidden sensors, $500+ install) or Crimestopper BSD-754 system (multiple visible sensors, $249+ install). Amazon has the BSD-754 for $128 and has mixed reviews.

If you are handy, I'd suspect these can be DIY fitted. OEM, probably not as simple.

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dirt simple to simply adjust the mirrors so there is no blind spot. That's what they're there for.

-- Chuck
Not always the case. Really, you should check over your shoulder and then take peak to your lower left when changing lanes to the left. Sometimes it would be nice to know ahead of time if there's something sneaking up on me. My bigger problem is the blindspot on the right when stopped at a road that intersects at an angle and you're taking a left. The pillars can block a portion of the oncoming traffic on the right.
I was a ups driver for years and I've logged a lot of hours on the road. Every vehicle has blind spots that no matter how you position the mirrors, you'll still come across blind spots. High, low and at eye level.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added these to my mirrors, I have zero blind spots and it’s a lot more reliable. $20 well spent.
E69853BA-62F4-476B-B366-AB0D3C7CD8D4.jpeg

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I ordered my 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4, I ordered the BLIS system.

I had driven my wife’s 2014 Impala with the lane-departure system warning and it works very well. The GM system is very well designed, with a large, bright orange warning symbol that appears in the outside, rear view mirrors.

The Ford system is poorly designed. The orange dot that appears in the outside mirror is very small small and is dim.

If you turn the headlights on, the warning light in the outside mirror mirror dims further and is difficult to see (think of an overcast day or rain, whch requires the headlights).

The Ford system warning lights in the mirror need to be bigger and brighter, like the GM system.

I do like the system and would never buy another another vehicle without, but I wish the Ford’s system warning lights were better.

Last edited:

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
Can I rant for a second?

Most people adjust their side view mirrors incorrectly; they adjust them so they can see down the side of their car. Most of the area they see in their side view mirrors is viewable in their primary, rear view mirror.

Side view mirrors should be adjusted so that you can see a portion of a car when it’s front bumper is about just behind your peripheral side vision. If you can’t see it in the side view mirror, then you should see it in your peripheral vision.

It takes some getting used to, but it eliminates the “blind spot”.