Adding on board air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm putting on-board air on my expedition. I've always wanted a compressor for out on the trail or when Im camping or I find a low tire in a parking lot somewhere. This is how I'm going about it because it seems the easiest way.

Step one - Own a Expedition. Looking in my driveway...done!

Step Two - Buy this harbor freight 3 gallon air compressor. Done!

Step Three - Take off the passenger side rear tire. I needed to do a tire rotation anyway. So...done!

Step Four - Remove the inner wheel well to expose this magnificent open area for the fore mentioned air compressor. Done!

Step five - Mount air compressor in this wonderful space. I'm working on that. In the mean time enjoy the pictures below...

Attachments

• IMG_20150326_184353036.jpg
    IMG_20150326_184353036.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20150326_184415132.jpg
    IMG_20150326_184415132.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20150326_184436472.jpg
    IMG_20150326_184436472.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 146

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm putting on-board air on my expedition. I've always wanted a compressor for out on the trail or when Im camping or I find a low tire in a parking lot somewhere. This is how I'm going about it because it seems the easiest way.

Step one - Own a Expedition. Looking in my driveway...done!

Step Two - Buy this harbor freight 3 gallon air compressor. Done!

Step Three - Take off the passenger side rear tire. I needed to do a tire rotation anyway.

Step Three (a) - Take a closer look at your trailing arms. You probably don't want the new on board system to be stationary.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Step Three (a) - Take a closer look at your trailing arms. You probably don't want the new on board system to be stationary.

LOL, that would be step four. This expy spent its life in the south. The trailing arms are solid. I plan on replacing them before next winter because I like the strength of tubular control arms over the cheap sheet metal bent stuff! Thanks for looking out for me though!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Issues:
I'm pretty sure that the compressor isn't rated for exterior use.
Is that a 12v compressor?
The tank drain will have to be at the lowest point or it will just fill with water over time.

I think that you would be far better off getting their small tankless compressor, mounting it inside the jack storage compartment and plumbing it to a small tank, under the truck.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Issues:
I'm pretty sure that the compressor isn't rated for exterior use.
Is that a 12v compressor?
The tank drain will have to be at the lowest point or it will just fill with water over time.

I think that you would be far better off getting their small tankless compressor, mounting it inside the jack storage compartment and plumbing it to a small tank, under the truck.

Yes its not "rated" for outdoor use. I plan on making a cover to keep as much moisture from getting to it as I can. I paid very little for it, so if it lasts a year, then I'm still ahead.

Its a 12v and I have a dedicated inverter to power it that will be mounted inside the cab.

In the future I may go with a set up as you described. But for now, Im trying this set-up. Its been cheap and straight forward. So we'll get to see how long it lasts. Plus I haven't seen anyone else do it this way. I get to be the first!

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you mean is that it is not 12v. If you need an inverter your compressor is powered by AC.

Correct, its 120v AC. Sorry for any confusion.

To be honest though. Tonydiv has me wondering if I would have room to fit this in front of the jack storage compartment since mine has a bin in that location instead of a subwoofer. The unit is only 8" wide and 13" tall. That would keep it from the weather and I could possibly take the cover off the compressor area to save more room. No running wires to the outside. Hmmmm... tomorrow morning I will do some investigation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the end result. It can fit behind the bin area, as long the bin is removed and replaced by a cover plate. The top cover of the air compressor had to come off and I slid it as far into the cavity as i could. Taking the cover off allowed me the opportunity to relocate the fuse and on/off switch for the compressor to the cover plate. I mounted the face plate of the inverter into the cover plate. It gave me access to the plugs for other purposes. It bows the interior panel out slightly. But its barely noticable when its put back together. I had it easier than most getting power back to that area because I had wired an amplifier in and tapped off of the power for that. Thank you to Tonydiv for giving me the idea to located this inside the vehicle. I like this much better than having it exposed to the elements. Now when you pop off the cover for the jack you have the disconnect for the air tank. This is way cool in my opinion!

IMG_20150328_130238045.jpg

IMG_20150328_130251012.jpg

IMG_20150328_131459231.jpg

IMG_20150328_131525060.jpg

IMG_20150328_183534635.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are more pics. Its hard to tell in the pic'sl, but you can adjust the output air without moving anything. The seat belt looks like its in the way. But its not.

Attachments

• IMG_20150328_183554652.jpg
    IMG_20150328_183554652.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 128