Adding rear air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I see a lot of folks removing their air suspensions in favor of coils. But I have (or will in a few days) a 2011 XLT that I'd like to add air shocks to in the rear for towing. I had a GMC Denali and the rear load leveling was great for towing.
I'd be happy with the ability to add "air shocks" to the rear. But it looks like I'll have to swap out the coil/shock and go completely with the air spring.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the factory rear load leveling suspension. It uses bags with no springs. On top of that you will need the compressor, air lines, height sensors. I'm guessing that the truck will need to be programmed to tell it that it has the air suspension.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the factory rear load leveling suspension. It uses bags with no springs. On top of that you will need the compressor, air lines, height sensors. I'm guessing that the truck will need to be programmed to tell it that it has the air suspension.
Building the electronics to read the height sensors and operate the solenoids and the compressor isn't a problem. But, I was hoping for an "air shock" that would replace the existing damper to augment the spring as needed for towing.
I'll see how things go after towing for the first time and go from there. If I want to swap IN rear air suspension, I'll have to get a list of parts.

va4wd

Reaction score
My 2014 has the new mechanical load leveling rear suspension. Those parts should be easier to install than the air bag system. Worth a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk