Advice on 2011 with 02 sensor code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EmmaSwendsen

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been heavily searching this page for the last few days and would like to confirm what I found plus get some advice.

I live in my vehicle full time so it's important to me to ensure I don't mess anything up when working on it.

I just traded for a 2011 expedition with 112k miles. A few days after trading - and about 400 miles - the CEL comes on. I go to the nearest O'Reillys and they say 02 sensor codes for both bank 1 & 2. I had to be in Wisconsin by that night so I push on. Take it to a local mechanic who then says 02 sensor bank 2, upstream.

They call to quote the repair and say "depending on if it's a left or right sensor the part can be between $195 and $280" so with labor it'll be between $300 to $600 which is outrageous to me. I grew up with mechanics all around and have helped replace 02 sensors in older ford trucks so I am determined to figure this out.

So can someone please confirm for me that the following would be accurate for my 2011 expedition-

Bank 2, upstream = Drivers (left side) before the catalytic converter

Additionally, can someone suggest the best place to purchase? Rockauto, auto zone, etc
I would be even more appreciative if you could include a part number.

I have contacted three of the mechanics I grew up with and they have all said I can continue to drive it without harming the vehicle but I want to get it fixed ASAP. Like I mentioned I live in it full time as I travel extensively for my career. They also said I should be able to replace it myself so hopefully you all second that assessment.

Apologies for the novel I am just wanting to make sure I have crossed my t's and dotted my I's

Thank you in advanced!!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Laurab69

Reaction score
As a woman can tell you that the O2 sensors are actually REALLY easy to replace yourself IF you get the sensor socket from the car parts place - they will loan the small took kit it to you with deposit. The key is this - the dang things are usually close to the hottest part of the underside AND they usually don't want to come out easily when it is cold so...warm up the engine a bit, get good gloves on and just get it done. Seriously only a few minutes to do yourself once you look at the schematic. And I would do both at the same time because if one dies the other will, too. Save yourself some big $ on labor for this one.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a woman can tell you that the O2 sensors are actually REALLY easy to replace yourself IF you get the sensor socket from the car parts place - they will loan the small took kit it to you with deposit. The key is this - the dang things are usually close to the hottest part of the underside AND they usually don't want to come out easily when it is cold so...warm up the engine a bit, get good gloves on and just get it done. Seriously only a few minutes to do yourself once you look at the schematic. And I would do both at the same time because if one dies the other will, too. Save yourself some big $ on labor for this one.

I would agree completely with the above. I did one on my 2011 with just standard wrenches. Not as difficult as you might think.

kenf

Reaction score
Hi,
I had a similar issue with my Expedition. Changed a sensor and it set a week later. Turned out to be the sparkplugs. Replaced the plugs and have not had an O2 sensor light since ( 3 years). At 112K miles the plugs might be due to be changed.
Worked for me.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • RockAuto is almost ALWAYS the cheapest place for parts. Yes, you have to wait a few days for delivery.
  • IMHO, either buy the Motorcraft or the Bosch part. Ignore the rest. Yes, they really cost <$50 ! That one cost estimate is OUTRAGEOUS !!
  • I have changed a couple of o2 sensors on various Ford products and never have had to buy the special socket they make. Sometimes the hardest thing is getting the electrical connector apart.
  • Several different issues can cause an incorrect o2 sensor error, especially if you are getting and error on both upstream banks. The simple code scanners will not reveal this. The better quality ($$$) scanners have the capability, but you have to know how to understand the data.