Aftermarket Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If sound quality and durability are unimportant, then I'm sure this or any of the other generic models are fine. If SQ/durability are important, then I would suggest having a look around Crutchfield, selecting a model, and then purchasing it elsewhere (such as Amazon).

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stay away from power acoustics. I had used one of their head units a couple years back thinking I was getting a great deal. Horrible mistake. Go to sonicelectronics.com and check out the head units there.(best prices I can find online) Stick with one of the known head unit brands like pioneer or kenwood.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know ppl that have power acoustics and have no probs...I do crutchfield.com cuz they give hardware for free and lifetime support...but u can use it to find what u like with the comparison feature then shop online

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ebay has better offers than that. For me, I'll be going with one of the good 7" Android double DIN offerings on ebay, like Pumpkin or CarJoying.

I simply do not understand why the bigger house brands can't seem to be able to produce a good Android based car stereo, and the few they do manage to cough up has terrible low res screens and and an terrible outdated version of Android, and still asking 500+ dollars for it..

OP
OP
R

racerx3317

Reaction score
Ebay has better offers than that. For me, I'll be going with one of the good 7" Android double DIN offerings on ebay, like Pumpkin or CarJoying.

I simply do not understand why the bigger house brands can't seem to be able to produce a good Android based car stereo, and the few they do manage to cough up has terrible low res screens and and an terrible outdated version of Android, and still asking 500+ dollars for it..

Something like this, you mean?

Camera+Pumpkin 7 inch 2Din In-Dash Quad Core Android 4.4 Touchscreen Car Stereo

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, also check here:

Joying® Aftermarket Best Android Head Unit, Android Car Stereo, Android Car Radio Audio Home page Android In-Dash Android GPS navigation | carjoying.com

They may not be the best high end players in the world (you don't need that in a car anyway, a true audiophile experience is impossible to recreate in a car, that's what you have a living room for), it will still give you descent sound that will outperform the stock CD player, and with possibility of hooking up amplifiers if you want more volume or boom (subwoofer).

dvandoormaal

Reaction score
BUMP for crappy generic Chinese decks that will leave you disappointed... :p

I had a Power Acoustic double din in my Delica which I only bought cause the van was Right-Hand Drive and the stereo had the buttons down the right side which was convenient and ergonomic.

It certainly did everything it said it would but the the screen resolution and brightness were AWFUL and the interface was from a Nokia bar phone.

I would spend literally another $50 and get Pioneer or Sony.

Last edited:

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, the generic noname stuff from China does most of the time have really bad quality, but there are actually good branded products coming out from China as well. If you know what to look for, you can find good stuff. One thing to look for, is if it's a company making stuff, putting their names on it, and providing aftersale support on their stuff. That usually shows that they want to stand by their products and build a good brand. Pumpkin and CarJoying are two companies like that. Granted, are you looking to do a massive stereo with a high budget, with custom enclosures all round, so on and so forth then those probably won't fit your needs. But for anyone looking to upgrade the factory head unit, and possibly add rear view cam and dash cam and such, in addition to navigation and otherwise good compatibility with steering wheel controls and stuff like that, then those can serve you just fine.

OP
OP
R

racerx3317

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know if these units will work with the DVD entertainment?