Air-ride pump sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

celticfdguy

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Expy E/B... The pump for the air-ride is really starting to get under my skin. It is REALLY loud and goes on quite often. It will fill the bags up and then 30 min later go on again. I can see the front of the truck moving up... Is this normal? Should it be pumping this often? My father said he replaced the pump but this same issue occured with the new pump... Should I get rid of the air-ride?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everyone converts to springs...eventually they'll go out and its ugly when they do

Erich Zeppelin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep the air ride suspension. You can replace the entire system, airbag's, front shock's, compressor etc. for just a bit over what a conversion will cost. I've found the entire kit for $680.00. If you do convert, the Expedition will sag with a load and you will miss the air ride.

OP
OP
C

celticfdguy

Reaction score
Keep the air ride suspension. You can replace the entire system, airbag's, front shock's, compressor etc. for just a bit over what a conversion will cost. I've found the entire kit for $680.00. If you do convert, the Expedition will sag with a load and you will miss the air ride.

Whats the life on these air-ride bags? Also - why the heck is the compressor so loud? I cant see the truck sounding like this when it first rode off the lot.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whats the life on these air-ride bags? Also - why the heck is the compressor so loud? I cant see the truck sounding like this when it first rode off the lot.

I have an '02 EB 2WD with the rear air and still have the factory air bags on mine. I think alot of the life expectancy depends on where you live, I live in the desert so that may help a bit. As for the sound of the compressor they sell a new " Bushing mount kit " for the compressor, and it will replace all of the mounting bushings for the compressor and eliminate the vibration noises coming from it while it is running.

Erich Zeppelin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Om my 1999 Expedition my entire system is factory, but I do need a new compressor. You could try to install new rubber bushings on your compressor mounts, I think 3 of them, they wear out, then the pump sounds loud.

OP
OP
C

celticfdguy

Reaction score
I have an '02 EB 2WD with the rear air and still have the factory air bags on mine. I think alot of the life expectancy depends on where you live, I live in the desert so that may help a bit. As for the sound of the compressor they sell a new " Bushing mount kit " for the compressor, and it will replace all of the mounting bushings for the compressor and eliminate the vibration noises coming from it while it is running.
Do you know where I can purchase this new bush mounting kit? Is this through ford? Ill take this route then if the sound persists ill replace the compressor.

clok1966

Reaction score
I had a early 2000 STS caddy with air ride and the compressor ran alot. Like any system that has to be closed, it was a leak. The easielst way to find one ... in my youth i worked at tire shop..

grab a bucket, dish soap and water and a cheap paint brush. mix it up (lots of soap) brush it on all connections, hoses etc.. bubbles are easy to spot with some soap. Take you about 15 minuts with an Expy.. the caddy took awhiel aas it had to be jacked up to do anything.